US Copyright Office clarification on works created using AI

It’s worth reading the full document.

Copyright Registration Guidance: Works Containing Material Generated by Artificial Intelligence
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2023/03/16/2023-05321/copyright-registration-guidance-works-containing-material-generated-by-artificial-intelligence

“The Copyright Office issues this statement of policy to clarify its practices for examining and registering works that contain material generated by the use of artificial intelligence technology.”

IANAL, but this seems to be the basic takeaway: if the work is created by AI then it’s viewed as similar to an artist being commissioned to create a piece of artwork, and as an AI is not a human being then the work cannot be copyrighted. Typing a string of text is not deemed to be authorship of a resulting image. That doesn’t mean you can’t create a derivative work based on the AI’s output, so AI would still be a useful tool for getting ideas, I guess.

The “but if you take a photo with a camera” question is answered in the guidance, by the way.

5 Likes

I did browse for similar topics, but if this has already been covered elsewhere and I missed it then feel free to delete this topic, mods.

Hello !

two videos on the subject by Neil Blevins :

4 Likes