USD - Blender to Unreal - Opacity Texture Issue

Hello,

Trying to export a very basic decal from Blender to Unreal Engine. I made the same setup in Blender and Houdini. Both look fine in their own viewport. However when I load a usd file exported from Blender into Unreal I get a weird glossy look, not only it’s glossy but it also feels like some sort of screen space reflection. Anybody knows how to fix this? We have an upcoming project in the office and it’s a real bummer that we have to make objects with opacity in another software.

I used Blender 4.1, Houdini 20.0.625, Unreal Engine 5.3.

Test Files attached.
Textures are from here: https://quixel.com/megascans/home?category=decal&assetId=tdcafitc

Thanks in advance.

USD_Test.hiplc (315.3 KB)
USD_Test.blend (950.5 KB)

What i can see: in unreal the shader is using the red channel and not alpha…

…also: there are some other settings like for example opacity threshold, index of reflection which might influence this… so not actuall blender but a unreal topic.

The image itself needs some “points” (and even the free some login) to use… so not really examinable…

You also plugged Color from opacity to Alpha of Principled…did you try Alpha to Alpha?

Yes, just tried shuffling red channel to alpha and plugging alpha of a texture output to alpha on a principled input. Doesn’t change anything in unreal.

I tried to adjust Alpha Clip Threshold in the material settings but it also doesn’t have any effect.

Just had my issue solved with a help of user from Unreal forum.

Solution: You need to set IOR value on Blender Principled shader to 1.0 (it’s 1.5 by default).

Still doesn’t explain why IOR 1.5 works when exporting from Houdini but IOR 1.5 doesn’t work when exporting from Blender. I would be curios to know why.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this here and adding knowledge to this community… :+1: …some users who asked things here sadly do not re-post answers found somewhere else.

1 Like