Using blender for DIY music video (or how I underestimated how much work it would take)

This past month I wanted to test myself by creating a music video with the help of blender, and damnit thats exactly what happened. Blender is usually a fun little side hobby, so using it under budget and time constraints to produce something other people will see was a huge learning experience.

After hearing the band’s track, I sent them some quick and dirty sketches to help communicate the vibe:

The thinking being that I could just stock bash my way into simple scenes, couple it with footage of the band, and bob’s your uncle! Music video done.

No.

The unfortunate reality is that the song was six minutes long. Which didn’t dawn on me until I’d already shot the band and was assembling the base edit.

So with that pre-amble out of the way I present some of the coughbettercough shots that actually feel ok.

lh-1

And of course, if you like the heavies, the completely overcooked and not at all rushed final product

Props go to people like Ian Hubert for teaching us all to cheat well, everyone on sketchfab who release free models, the Sanctus library for being an awesome thing that exists, and my partner for putting up with me not existing for that period.

6 Likes

That works really well, the final result is really good, not “over CG’d”.

I hope (and presume) that the band were pleased.

Thanks!

Yeah they’d want to be. But yeah they were stoked.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like