This has been bugging me for awhile, and I want to know if anybody has a solution. When you read the terms of use for Textures.com (formerly CGTextures - probably the largest texture website on the Internet) it seems to contradict itself. Here’s what I mean:
2.1
You are permitted to:
a)
use Photos in 2D or 3D computer graphics, website design, advertising banners, movies, television shows and printed media;
b)
incorporate the Photos in computer games and 3D models;
c)
sell 3D models bundled with modified versions of the Photos (with the exception of Substance .sbsar files), but only if you add the following text to the documentation accompanying the model:
“One or more textures on this 3D model have been created with photographs from Textures.com. These photographs may not be redistributed by default; please visit www.textures.com for more information.”
2.2
You are not permitted to:
f)
bundle Photos with software such as paint programs, plugins, 3D engines, 3D programs or photo-kiosk software;
This seems contradictory to me, as it states you can use the textures in video games or 3D scenes or applications, and that goes on to say that you can’t actually release the textures with the game itself. Am I missing something?
The terms of use are available here:
Just to clarify, I’m not looking for legal advice or anything, I’m just wondering if I’m missing something that would make the terms of use make more sense.