USS Bonhomme Richard (1765)

did you find the composition of the walls with planking?

i heard that some ships had like 16 to 24 inches of thickness
but not certain how it was built
this might also depends on the year i guess

thanks
happy bl

Woah, good to know and thanks for the information about channels and wales. Never heard before, now I know :wink:

Yes. Thickness of ships varied. Different sources vary. USS Bonhomme Richard was originally a french kinda trading ship Duc De Duras that was gifted/sold to United States and then was somehow reworked to a battle frigate and so. There are many types of frigates. USS United States, USS Constitution, are american types of frigates and I try to keep it somehow french with american style in it. Light frigates eg.: obviously had lower thickness opposite to heavy frigates…
Then there is that thing as xxxx - class ship. American United States frigates were quite different from Facheux, Hasardeux, Ferme, Solide, … And after all… This is kinda useless because Duc De Duras was an “East Indiaman” and not a Frigate :smiley:

So… Did some work to the ship finally.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,
I am happy that finally I can revive this old topic and delve into this ship again. The main thanks goes to @Kurtis at this moment as you were a great inspiration on this journey. Lets continue with this project then.

6 Likes

It’s great to see you’re resuming with your project! Looking forward to seeing where you take it…

1 Like

Hello everyone,
I made some progress. Still not that much as I had hoped I would manage to have, but glad that at least something is done.

4 Likes

Hi all,
this project is really sitting there and growing old, but I’ve decided to finally go and finish it. I believe that once I will have the rear of the ship done I will be more motivaded into continuing with the rest (even though I’m scared about the rigging part and texturing the whole ship)

An advice to anyone, there is a handy trick how to deal with a situation which happened to me, as I was stupid enough to first move all the gun port doors without having them first UV unwrapped…

Works when they are identical. Have them First divided to individual objects. First select a target object and second the object where you’ve already finished UV unwrapping. Then press
Space and write ‘Copy UV’. Select it and it will do a magic and save you a ton of work.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t really worry about that with projects like this. There’s no such thing as “getting old” cos the subject matter itself represents olde times. Wooden ship modellers often take long breaks and come back to what they’re doing, it’s not something to be ashamed of.

Good to see ya around, regardless!

2 Likes

Hi all,
some small progress again.
I now deeply want and NEED to work on the backside of the ship :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Just short update :slight_smile:

5 Likes

And today I finally pushed myself to do the work that is necessary. There is still lot of unmapped textures or just textures mapped temporarily. But this I believe will make me move myself faster. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hi,
so some more progress.

• Added rowboat (missing ropes yes :slight_smile: )
  • added ventilation
  • added texture to hopefully all side woods :smiley:
  • changed material to some places
  • whole front of the ship makeover
  • bell is moved forward as seen on one model reference
  • added wooden details to the rear of the ship on the absolute top

3 Likes

Hi all,
so finally some texturing on the main hull :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Some more changes

4 Likes

Hi all,
some further progress what I did recently. New ladders, new cannon ball holders, added ropes to the sides of ship, working on the masts and some other small changes that are harder to be visible.

3 Likes

Just a small update. Started working on the ropes. Even though, its much more difficult than I anticipated. Iam trying to help myself with Alt+D, rotations, curves, array generation as much as possible, but it all takes time.

4 Likes