UV Mapping a Glock 17 - Help

Hello,

I modelled this Glock 17 (it’s my second model, please excuse me if I messed up something somewhere :p).

So now that it’s done (I even learned how to create different vertex groups for the various parts of the Glock like the trigger, the slide, and the mag release button to further help me animating the model later) I know that I have to uv map it, so I searched for like 2 days stuff like “How to uv map in blender” “UV mapping” “uv unwrapping in blender” and so on… I tried everything. I also found a lot of stuff, but now I still don’t know where to start. There are just too many contradictions: some people say it’s better to mark seams and then unwrap the entire model, other say that I have to uv map everything with smart uv project and then stitch the various uv islands back together to “logical uv islands” (whatever that means), some other people say I have to select all faces on one side and then go on and continue projecting from the ortho view with “Project from view”, and then there were people that said I should unwrap with cylindrical, box and sphere mapping options. Now I know this is kind of a primitive question to ask but… What’s the right way of doing it? With right I mean what is the fastest but still most efficient way of doing it? I know that you guys are probably going to tell me that there is no “right” way of doing this, but I really have NO idea where to start uv mapping this :S

I really hope somebody can help me :slight_smile:

I am by no means an expert. I’m just now working on my first model and it’s not even completed yet. But if I were you, I would make a second copy of the .blend file just to use for experimenting with different methods you hear about so you can figure out the best way to do any given thing.

So I would create a new .blend from this one, go with smart UV project, just because that will unwrap it all automatically for you, then just practice and experiment with your textures. If it all goes to hell, no big deal you’ve still got the original unharmed and if you learn a thing or two, it was worth it.

That’s what I’m doing anyway. Though I’m having trouble just creating a new texture to paint on there haha…

EDIT:
Amazing model by the way! Especially for your second time. Mine is no where near as detailed and probably never will be.

watch a few more tuts on unwrapping :wink: it gives you the best maps!!
but its practise to get seams in right place

all the modes have there uses and you can use different modes on the same model but if you want nice clean easy to work with texture maps go with unwrapping

thanks for your replies :slight_smile: I will do what Shipwreck recommended… it really sounds like a great idea to experiment around with the different uv mapping/unwrapping modes, I hope I can get those seams right though :S I have no idea where I could place them on this particular model

You have not uploaded a mesh so it’s impossible to tell you anything about the seams. Is it all one piece? For a start you should certainly select the polys that represent specific parts and unwrap them one at a time, and since you already have vertgroups it should be easy. Seams are perhaps not so necessary if individual parts are not completely wrapped around your model if you understand what I mean.