UV mapping

I did the wiki tut right I can see my UV mapped image in textured mode but when I try to render it the image does not show up. What am I doing wrong?

-SirMikey

You have only told Blender to display the UV map in realtime view.

You will need to also go to the materials button, add a new material, mark it as an image, and tell it what image to use. Then if you are UV mapping, you will need to go to the “map input” tab, and switch it to UV.

And then click TexFace in the Material tab in F5.

%<

Thanks guys! I was also wondering if there were any other tuts on UV mapping that would explain more about it?

SirMikey

Here’s one that I did:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54620&highlight=

It’s geared for beginners (like me). :slight_smile:

Really, you only want the last half of it, though. Warning - there’s lots of pictures.

I allways see this advice and I did see an explanation for it once. I have however forgotten so I ask again: why does everyone allways instruct to press the texface-button?

I allways see this advice and I did see an explanation for it once. I have however forgotten so I ask again: why does everyone allways instruct to press the texface-button?[/quote]

There are two methods to show an UV mapped image in the render:

1. Press TexFace
  2. Use Input-Type UV with an image Map.

UVMapping was originally used primarily for the GameEngine (which doesn’t use materials) to help with speed issues. If you’re using the model in a game then you don’t need to click TexFace (since you won’t have a material added you won’t have access to the button anyway) because it’s using OpenGl to display the scene and not rendering it.

When you use the render engine however, you need to have Lamps, which need to find Faces and in turn find the Normals of those faces to come up with a return value for each pixel. It needs a Material to do this and a Texture to give Input to that material. A UVMapped image therefor needs to be set to give Texture Input to the Face it is mapped to:- TexFace.

%<

Are you saying that rendering something through F12 doesn’t properly showup uv-mapped textures? Why is there then a uv map input for textures? How does this differ from using texface? Because I still can’t see a difference with texface pressed or not.

Why is there then a uv map input for textures?

In that case the same texture that you used to UVMap is also added as an IMage Texture in F6. If you have a Material (it may have other textures [even images] linked) that has no textures and you also have an Image UVMapped, then the way to get it to show in the Render is TexFace.

%<

Ok, now I see the difference. I am just used to using the image first in the “uv/image editor” window and then setting it as an imagetexture that uses uv as map input. Is there some drawback to this method that could be avoided by the allways-mentioned texface button?

And the only way to uv-map several textures to a modell (ie. colormap, bumpmap, etc.) is by loading them as imagetextures and using uv from ‘map input’, right?

Right, that is the only way a UVMapped image can get access to the Material for Input like bump, spec etc.

%<

Okay, thankyou for the detailed explanations Fligh. Just one final thing, being a noobster with CG/Blender. Will I run into problems at some point doing uv the “image-texture, set map input to uv” way?

No, it’s more useful that way since you have access to the material.

%<

Okay, thanks again Fligh. Now if I would just remember this next time…

If you have a Material (it may have other textures [even images] linked) that has no textures

Now I’m confused. My understanding was that if I have an image that is “only” loaded in the uv-editor and not in a texture channel you can get it to show in a render UVmapped with the texface button. Correct or not??

If the above is correct – will using the texface button with an image loaded in the UV editor override the texture channels?? or is it ignored if a texture channel is mapped to UV??

The whole system seems a little overly complex. I always thought that it would make more sense if the UV editor interface gave a choice of loading UV mapped texture channels rather than a image directly.

GreyBeard

Now I’m confused. My understanding was that if I have an image that is “only” loaded in the uv-editor and not in a texture channel you can get it to show in a render UVmapped with the texface button. Correct or not??

Correct.

will using the texface button with an image loaded in the UV editor override the texture channels?? or is it ignored if a texture channel is mapped to UV??

No, with the default MapTo setup the F6 texture (image or procedural) will override the TexFace texture. But, if you drop the Col value of the F6 texture or change from Mix mode to something else, then the 2 will blend.

When the TexFace button is on it steals the Material’s RGB sliders and replaces them with the UVMapped Image, that becomes the new material color. The Spec and Mir sliders are still available.

%<

When the TexFace button is on it steals the Material’s RGB sliders and replaces them with the UVMapped Image, that becomes the new material color. The Spec and Mir sliders are still available.

That make it perfectly clear :smiley:

Thanks,
GreyBeard