UV Unwrapping

I’m using the latest version of Blender and I’m trying to UV map a low poly character I’ve been practicing with. Specifically, I’m UV mapping his arms right now and I figured that a cylinder unwrap would be perfect for this, but for some reason, I can’t get it to work. There is very little documentation on it, and the more I play with it, the more it frustrates me. Does anybody know where I can find a good tutorial on using the cube/sphere/cylinder unwrapping functions of blender?

[good idea]
Also, would it be possible in a future version of blender to be able to see the cylinder/sphere/cube as an object in the active window and move/scale it around the selected faces before using it?

[/good idea]

Cheers,

Bob

position the 3d view pointing at the side of the cylinder, with the circular top and bottom being at the top and bottom of your viewport

you can use the numberpad 4, 6, 8, and 2 keys to rotate the view

I don’t know which side the seam will be on but this should be a start

That helped a bit, but it’s still not quite right. I now get what looks like a flat arm from the viewport. It looks as though I’ve taken the arm and flattened it. I get UV coordinates that overlap and it doesn’t look like it’s been unwrapped. Is there something special I need to do to get it to unwrap?

Cheers,

Bob

Problem solved. Tuhopuu-2 has LSCM in it, which will unwrap like a champ. I can’t wait to see this in a blender release. One of the greatest tools out there.

Cheers,

Bob

may be your projection center is not set inside the arm ?
( set to “object center” in 3d view)

BM

I tried downloadign Tuhopuu…but it didn’t work… wich link did you use ?

md01

i’ll get you the link just tell me if you need it for windows or linux or some other platform.

Thanks modron… I need it for windows…

grts.
md01

from the testing builds forum:
new experimental build for windooze
/* again: required dlls and stuff is not included */
(also commited to tuhopuu CVS tree)
added menues to UV editor for:
pinning ( windooze users may know )
launching LSCM

new feature:
live mode for moving pinned UVs doing LSCM “online” (go to “grab” for a pinned UV and toggle with LKEY)
be aware : LSCM takes some CPU so lagging should be expected!

windows build should become visible here (tuhopuuNG/* build date*/ .zip)

Alright! I downloaded it … the link worked…thanks again…

grts… :smiley:

md01