Uzu's 2d blender art

I’m just going to make a home here for my 2d blender shenanigans in case I decide to fire up blender just for the sake of drawing/painting something. I have this habit that when I see if a software is capable of producing images then I try to see if it can be used to make art and blender offers multiple ways to do just that so I thought I would start a topic and share it from time to time.

I got back to blender recently to start a new journey of me making another 3d animation or something more interactive going on than painting static images in GIMP (my main-ish art software) but I got carried away in blender’s texture paint /image editor and here’s the result:

It does not involve anything fancy other than using smear as a blending brush on 0.2 jitter and the right kind of fall-off but that’s something (*blending brushes) I usually rely on to compensate for the lack of pen/tablet as I just like to use mouse (and a few years of messing around with digital art) to create.

5 Likes

This was one of my first 2d art in blender. It was made in weight paint mode which was also the most important milestone in on my digital art journey because weight paint mode has this amazing tool called average which was basically a blending brush in this case and it opened my eyes how I never knew I needed something like this in general and it set me on the way to have a chance competing with pen/tablet users as I finally had a concept of a tool to compensate for pen pressure in terms of blending colors together in a much desirable way. (I only knew smudge tool in GIMP before and that was it and it was aweful)

1 Like

A painting in vertex paint mode but if i remember correctly blending wasn’t that great there. This is the max resolution I can get with these vertex paintings as more vertices just lag my computer when painting or at least it used to. Haven’t tried painting in sculpt mode yet.

Of course grease pencil can’t be left out

1 Like

I never seen anyone else “painting” with geometry in sculpt mode so I might be the first one (?). This was one of my very experimental ways of producing “2d” image by altering heights with sculpting brushes of a flat surface and using Z axis with a color ramp to shade. I consider this way of producing art a similar way to vector graphics with the benefit of using brushes. I never finished one of these experiements though as I don’t really like to work with it.

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you!!

1 Like