V-ray 3Ds max to Cycles

Omer,

Currently their is no converter for archviz production type V-ray 3dmax scenes to Blender. I did develop my own script.

Start with MAXtoBlender the export part from 3dsmax works fine. It will create file “3dm2b.xml” with a list of all the materials, cameras, lights, and other of your scene. .

The importer script from MAXtoBlender that use “3dm2b.xml” to import into Blender it has a lot of problems I found a least 30 issues from minor to mayor.

I basically rewrote all the mayor parts of this script. This is not an easy task to handle properly many of the VRay production features into Blender and Cycles. Lights has to handle IES, spot, area, point, and HDRI and power intensity is very different, Materials in VRay have many important difference compare to Cycles from diffuse, metallic, reflection, refraction, opacity and PBR. Their also cameras, environment and FBX importer issues.

I took me about 3 months to finally have an importer for VRay 3dsmax production type archviz scenes. See below an example of an Evermotion scene AI-50. This scene has over 100+ lights, 200+ materials and 800+ textures. Did some minor material adjustments and adjusted the light intensities. I did change the tone-mapping and light intensities for my own preference. Export time of 1 minute and the same for the import. My custom script save me days of manual work in converting this scene. Render time for both were about 1min and 20sec.

I do plan to make a thread with tips about converting from VRay to Cycles in the near future.

VRay raw:

Converted into Cycles.

8 Likes