V1.35 MMORPG -Kewl Incredible District- "Teen Dream" (play to post)

This is not so much a game play critique as a critique on first impressions. Mr EyeBall.

1-…Do something with that screen name, Its spooky and kinda gory in the not so cute sort of way

2- I find my self asking this question “Do I want to invest time in game play when I see one of the makers of said game attacking those who offer feedback that said maker asked for?”

3- And I pay special attention when I see counter-charges that attack the person/character/reputation of the one who offered the feedback. It makes me wonder what would happen 6 months from now if something happens and I bring that problem to the admin.

Finally got past the server selection screen, now I can give a proper review! :smiley:

It’s actually pretty fun, spent a little more time playing it than I intended to. It’d be a lot MORE fun if the game were optimized for people with poor computers, such as myself. The one option to reduce memory (detail distance) wasn’t enough… Anyways:

Good:
-Rewarding combat
-Decent visuals
-Easy to get into, even without a tutorial
-Creative enemy design
-Character customization (though it is somewhat limited)
-Many weapons available for purchase

Bad:
-Creepy characters (why is my male character wearing a training bra?!?)
-Enemies take too long to kill
-Players sometimes sink through grass
-Able to walk into/under buildings (some were even floating a few feet above the ground)

I don’t think this game should necessarily be targeted towards children…
You’re able to run around killing plants and Golems with chainsaws and battle axes. You don’t see any dismemberment of any kind, but there’s still killing.

Eh, in fairness, look at the LEGO games, where defeating an enemy makes him combust into pieces. Not all that bad in comparison. =P

This is exactly my thoughts, to me it doesn’t mater if the game is good or bad. I would never consider playing it if the producer (eg. admin) acted, -excuse my choice of words-, like an ass.

Just to ensure we’re on the same page, I’ve observed your discussions of KiD on IRC for the past few months, I’m not naive to its development.

I understand you wrote play-to-post, but I felt it important to share a significant part of the development process- first impressions. People won’t play a game that doesn’t grab their attention. This isn’t to say that KiD is guilty of this, but it does highlight a problem with restricting your feedback.

My first point is a visual remark, which still appears to be valid.
My second point still appears to be valid from the video demonstrations, comments and other feedback from both yourself and other users.

First of all, thank y’all for playing! I have read all the comments and have done something about all the things mentioned provided I could: verify them as true, correct, fix them without going into the BGE source code or anything very costly(for now).

NEW Features in version 1.4:

1. Favourite colour in colour picker
  2. New help button in main gui
  3. New send button in main gui, send bugs or send a message to admin.
  4. New exit button for escaping menus.
  5. Updated swear word list (noswearing.com) (if you can still type bad words, please submit them to admin in game)
  6. Swear word filter enhanced.
  7. Buy a shield and a gui button appears to quickly defend yourself with it.
  8. many bugs solved

And, a new screenshot, just to show the new changes in the gui!

Hi

Just released version 1.5, thanks to the people who played because that has meant everything.

http://www.nicholasnel.com/back/back.html

Just refresh if version 1.4 is still in your cache.

NEW Features in version 1.5:

1. Mouse “clicky” cursor.
  2. Health bars all round!
  3. Keyboard fix for wsad movement.
  4. Bugs and polish.

Hi

Just released Version 1.6

just refresh your browser if version 1.5 is in your cache.

NEW Features in version 1.6:

1. Spirit wind.
  2. Improved character randomization @ startup.
  3. Monetized District editor.
  4. Menu section will redial server on fail.
  5. Forgot password button added to main menu.
  6. Toggle fullscreen button added to main menu.
  7. EGG is uploaded to server by pushing esc key to exit.
  8. Bugs and polish.

Hi

I forgot to post a screenshot of the “spirit wind”, so here it is!

Cheers!

I like the idea, but the implementation is a tad interesting. My loading processes was a bit weird, and buggy. Then when I joined my character glitched out a few times. The graphics are okay but the animations need some serious work. The running/walking desync alot from the speed of motion. How did you set up servers? That’s awesome. :cool:

TL:DR Needs better graphics/Aniamtions but cool idea and server setup.

Fistly, I saw you on the server and thank you for playing.

Your character needs a lot of work, and I don’t feel like you played the whole game yet! if I see you online, I can give you a foot up the ladder with a million game bucks!

I am on Christmas break right now, but I should be working on new things next year, better graphics and animation is in the pipeline although I am already par with most fantasy mmorpgs.

Edit: I just want to add that if you play and no one is online the game is not working at it’s full potential, to see the maximum potential you would need about 50 people(with pets and rides) “per district” online!

thanks for playing :evilgrin:
EyeBall

No problem. I’ll prolly get on some more. The game is not yet on par with other mmos imo in terms of graphics, but it is fine for a bge one. :wink: I get that an mmo is meant to be a team game. I hope you continue to dev it, since it is one of the few bge games to be multiplayer.

Well, ok, we can agree to disagree then, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Hi Everyone!

Christmas special is on today! Everyone who plays will receive a 6 month free membership!

Hi just to tell you I am back at work and have many things planned for the new year! this is where we start the year:

Hi all!

I would be lying if I said I never worked a bit in the holiday, never the less, I am here with a new version that has great improvements to the Districts appearance!

NEW Features in version 1.8:

1. Improved appearance of District objects.
  2. new sky types.
  3. performance increase.
  4. Bugs.

www.nicholasnel.com/back/back.html
(refresh if it’s in your cache)

remember, I can’t take a screenshot of everything possible!
ENJOY!!! Time to play is now.

Edit: sorry, I forgot to say that everyone who plays will get a free district!!!

Hey! I did another test run, this time in a fresh 32bit wineprefix.

My system:
Linux Mint 17 (64 bit) with wine 1.7.33
3.4GHz quad core
14 GB free RAM
1 GB NVidia GTX 460
6 mb/s down, 1 mb/s up

Anyway, here are the results—

1:
The download hosted on the site failed after multiple attempts, but the dropbox link was fine.
Eventually I did get both to download with a matching md5sum.
I remember having to download a couple times when I first tested months ago as well. No problems downloading from other servers.

2:
The game still constantly writes to disk. I don’t know if it’s threaded or not, but if not that would explain why the game seems to “chop” frequently.

Total DISK READ :       0.00 B/s | Total DISK WRITE :      23.00 K/s
Actual DISK READ:       0.00 B/s | Actual DISK WRITE:      23.00 K/s
  TID  PRIO  USER     DISK READ  DISK WRITE  SWAPIN     IO>    COMMAND          
26692 be/4 user        0.00 B/s   23.00 K/s  0.00 %  0.00 % KID.exe
       1 be/4 root        0.00 B/s    0.00 B/s  0.00 %  0.00 % init
       2 be/4 root        0.00 B/s    0.00 B/s  0.00 %  0.00 % [kthreadd]

Generally you only want to write when absolutely necessary. I’ve seen many a drive corrupted when power was lost during disk writes.

3:
After idling for awhile the framerate dropped from “very smooth” to about 4 per second. I was able to consistently reproduce it. The slowdown occurs after (roughly) 15 minutes, did not kill or interact with anything.

4:
The UI clips through geometry. Moving it to an overlay scene would do the trick.

Hope you found this useful. Now it’s sleepy time!

Hi again!
Thanks so much for playing!! I am surprised it works in Linux at all!

I do have a Linux version planned, but this is a custom blender build so I have to rebuild it on every platform, I have been trying to get my mod into the source code of bge with no luck as it is very hacky (although it works)

The writing to disk issue is on my list of things to do, but it’s really tricky to not break the game, I have attempted it before and the game ended up writing to disk 10 meg a second, so I will need to spend a few days just working on that, and I will do it when I got time, promise!

Edit: using an overlay scene seriously affects the game performance. The clipping is due to the size of the gui, I can fix it but it makes it hard to work with the gui elements.

Cheers!

Hi.

This version for the promises I made. I hope you like it!

NEW Features in version 1.9:

1. Optimised writing to drive.
  2. Better GUI clipping.
  3. Bugs.

Edit: found a bad bug, fixed now, version 1.10! enjoy.

www.nicholasnel.com/back/back.html
refresh your browser if it’s in your cache

Hi, here with a new version, Enjoy, and remember Free district to anyone who plays!

NEW Features in version 1.11:

1. Extra large pets.
  2. Ride button in main gui.
  3. New lights for Rides.
  4. better sticky camera.
  5. No blank Passwords.
  6. Bugs and Polish.

Edit: Version 1.12 is now available as a bug fix stable version!

(if you have problems because it’s in your cache, refresh)

Cheers!