V20 internal combustion engine (Video)

Hey guys!

I finished a new education video on how a V20 internal combustion engine in a combined heat and power plant works.

This was a very fun and challenging project. You can also choose english audio track on YouTube! :slight_smile:





Artstation

Best
Paul

60 Likes

comprehensive :nerd_face:

1 Like

This is amazing! How did you make the x-ray effect?

Really good.
What tools did you use for unwrapping and texturing? What render engine [pun not intended :wink: ]

1 Like

Thank you! :smiley: I did everything in Blender and rendered in Cycles. Only the compositing was made in Fusion.

1 Like

Thanks! Just a transparency Shader with fresnel and a little bit emission :slight_smile:

I mean this effect:


(Sorry if that’s the one you talked about)

Great work! I really enjoy seeing this application of Blender’s capabilities for scientific educations, it seems like it would be a satisfying project to be employed for

1 Like

Ah! Sorry! I made this with the following simple Shader Node, controlled with an empty object (“AlphaControl”). I also added the backfacing parameter to remove the backfaces.

1 Like

Very good! I used to work with a lot of Waukesha and Rolls Royce MTU V-12 engines. I don’t recognize that one off hand. What is it?

Very cool.

1 Like

Nice! Its mainly inspired from a Jenbacher Gas-Engine, but I altered the design to not get any legal issues :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is really cool. :smiley:

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Thank you!!! :hugs:

I can’t imagine how you could get into any “legal issues” by accurately depicting any device.

Nevertheless: This is a spectacularly effective “educational video” in every respect. It’s not just the excellent rendering, but the entire design of the show, which systematically presents every feature in a logical sequence, with very appropriate camera angles and illustrations. I’ve looked at a few of the other engineering videos on the site, and all of them are outstanding.

1 Like

Thank you for the kind feedback!

The video is absolutely amazing! Perfect visualization of an outdated technology, beautifully rendered and animated.

What do you mean “outdated technology”?
This type of engine is still used, manufactured and maintained today.

1 Like

2 reasons: If humans keep burning oil on the current level, it’s game over us in a few decades ( climate collapse). The second reason is that electric motors are superior in almost every aspect, despite shortcomings in battery tech, will be drastically improved over time. I am not dismissing the fact that this combustion engine is a marvel of precision engineering. The complexity though is part of the problems compared with the simpler electric motor.

Yes, maybe a nuclear powered electric engine could replace an engine like this.