Vanguard 1 satellite

I’m a beginner here, I’ve already done some work and even animations, but so far none of really awesome quality.

At Artstation I looked at the guides on the full modeling pipeline, and realized that I was doing everything wrong.

Criticism is welcome, as well as directions on what to google and what tutorials to watch first.

The first render, the result of two hours of work (some of them took the collection of references). Blocking, determined the proportions and arrangement of the main elements. Textures are temporary.

1 Like

did you take the 3D model from NASA ?

may be add the moon in the back

good beginning

happy bl

2 Likes

Thanks!

I checked the NASA resources, there is no 3D model of the Vanguard among them. This model is completely made by me (excluding HDRI).

There will be no moon, but I will add the Earth later. Vanguard is a satellite of the Earth, did not fly to the Moon.

I want to finish the low-poly this and next evening, and then a few evenings will take high-poly and creating small details.

Render version 2:

Almost ready low-poly. Next step: high poly parts - screws, slots, solar cell parts.

1 Like

Render version 3:

From another camera:

Low poly mesh. This is where criticism is needed.

1 Like

this thing had a diam around 8 inches i think very small

not certain which model you did
but look at this one at museum - lot’s of rivets around

Satellite, Vanguard 1, Replica | National Air and Space Museum (si.edu)

might also do the inside with the PCB

Lot Detail - Historic 1950’s Model of The Vanguard 1 Satellite From the Navy Research Laboratory – Large Scale Model of the Longest-Orbiting Man-Made Satellite Ever (natedsanders.com)

have fun

happy bl

I really like the look of your solar panels! I think the surface overall could use some scratches- maybe not dirt, since it’s space, but some texture just to break it up

Thanks!
Yes, this is it, I do according to references. I downloaded everything I could find on google.

Rivets will be added next. Then baking, then texturing. Traces of metal processing. There will be no internals. This is my first serious non-tutorial model if I’m done.

1 Like

if you do a good model you could try to add it to the NASA site

i wish the PCB was better in color
in BW it is hard to tell what the components are !

happy cl

this site has some nice high re pics

Satellite, Vanguard 1, Replica | National Air and Space Museum (si.edu)

did you do a split in middle of sphere?
it is sphere but has to be open somehow !
and would represent a small gap for the joint

happy cl