Vectex: SVG vector texture plugin for Blender

Recompiled it with the -DDEBUG tags.

Debug version is here: http://gamulabs.freepgs.com/compiled/files/vectex_debug.zip

I haven’t had time to investigate it (I’m kind of busy right now, just have had time to do a quick recompile/quick test). I’ll take a more in depth look at it tomorrow (hopefully) and see what I can figure out, if some other Mac guy hasn’t done so already.

Edit// Here’s What I get (using the included tiger.svg):

[plugin_tex_getversion]
[plugin_getinfo]
[plugin_init]
[plugin_instance_init]
- plugin started enabled
[create_instance]
[create_backend]
- backend error: Couldn't open file 
- open failed for file ''
[plugin_callback]
- file name changed; plugin reinitialized
[destroy_instance]
[create_instance]
[create_backend]
- open ok
[create_tile_set]
- created tile set max_pow=8 size=9
> creating tile #8 res=256 [0,0]

When you hit render, it kind of seems to think for a while (ala infinite loop or memory problem or something wrong I did wile compiling/linking :o).

Upon quitting the pertinent dump information (from Blender) is:

vectex:instance len: 88 0x17e012c0
vectex:tileset len: 72 0x18937620
vectex:tile len: 198148 0x17f05020
...Other Blender dump info

A bit curious : the Window’s archive contains a “.so” file.

Hi.
I’m testing on Os-x. There seems to be a strange bug:
If applied to the default cube, it will take forever to render. If I scale the cube a bit, it works fine.

I use the following to compile on Os-x:

--- vectex-0.9/Makefile    2008-02-25 03:05:56.000000000 +0100
+++ vectex-0.9__steve/Makefile    2008-02-29 22:10:38.000000000 +0100
@@ -10,10 +10,10 @@
 expat-1.95.8/.libs/libexpat.a:
     cd expat-1.95.8; ./configure; make

-INC=-fPIC -shared -O -ansi -Iblender -Iagg-2.5/include -Iexpat-1.95.8/lib
+INC=-fPIC -fno-common -O -ansi -Iblender -Iagg-2.5/include -Iexpat-1.95.8/lib
 # -DDEBUG

-LIB=-fPIC -shared agg-2.5/src/libagg.a expat-1.95.8/.libs/libexpat.a -lm -lc
+LIB=-fPIC -flat_namespace -undefined dynamic_lookup -bundle -bundle_loader ~/blender/cmake-make/bin/Release/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/blender agg-2.5/src/libagg.a expat-1.95.8/.libs/libexpat.a -lm -lc

agg_svg_parser.o: agg_svg_parser.cpp agg_svg_parser.h
     g++ $(INC) -c agg_svg_parser.cpp

Another quick question, am I mistaken or does it not tile the texture? - I tried to apply it to a river im working on and it seemed to apply one copy and then extend the edges to infinity…

Way to go, Marcelo. Thank you !
Very useful tool! I hope it gets included into Blender source soon.

bows

This plugin… roxxorz d4 boxxorz.

My boundless gratitude.

I never thought this kind of textures is possible in 3d applications. Excellent job. I hope it will be integrated someday.

Great!!!, really great and usefull plugin!!! Very thanks!!!

Cant see the svg texture in texture mode on 3dview?

Thanks a lot!!!

Sorry my english.

Great plugin! Just missing a typical button for browsing the folder and texture.

On my Ubunty Gutsy i can’t open the demo files, the console window writes:

could not change language to en_US nor en_US.UTF-8
var1: ./vectex.so, var2: ./vectex.so, var3: ./vectex.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

This true, and this button is essential. :eyebrowlift:

A suggestion: i think next step to update the pluggin is a buffer for store lowres svg textures for view the textures in texture mode with fast performance of drawing.

Sorry my poor english.

Wow! Need time to read “without OSA only 256x256” a second time. :o
This plugin rocks!

great work man!

this is terrific for animations

wow. I am going to totally play with this thing. Something like this could save me a TON of HD space and give me better quality in my textures

Thank you so much for thinking of this, this is freaking awesome!!

holy moly!

that’s freakin’ awesome. i actually always wondered why this kind of thing never became more prevalent in cgi… at some point, i remember seeing something similar for 3dsmax but it kinda just fizzled.

procedural textures are cool cuz they’re not a fixed resolution… but you can’t really “paint” a specific procedural texture. bitmaps are cool cuz you can determine precisely what you want but you have frontload and predetermine the resolution.

a VECTOR texture on the other hand seems to have the “best of all worlds” - kinda being able to arbitrarily determine your own procedural texture… and if you can make tileable vector textures, that’s an extremely powerful proposition.

so that raises the question - is it possible to tile with a vector texture?

anyhoo, awesome and keep on rockin’.

jin

Thank you so much! I hope this becomes part of the sources soon as this is a perfect addition. Now I don’t have to go back to inkscape and export my vectors as a bitmap anymore I can just use them directly. Thank you and keep up the good work.

I have seen Youtube clip. Its a great . Can you please give a link of a tutorial to use with Blender?
and Please describe in simple steps to create a movie like that with Vector Features?

Where can we find a win32 version ?

O my this is neat stuff.

Excellent, sadly I can’t download the windows build for some reason :frowning:

EDIT: yay I just downloaded it… that works extremely well!!! Thanks soo much! I absolutely love it! I’ll do some more tests and post some results this evening!

Are you sure ? Under windows xp, the demo files alone freeze blender and the plugin crashes window itself !