Vertex Color Master

So first I just want to say that I absolutely love this add-on! Saves me so much time.

Is it at all possible to edit multiple, separate meshes with VCM? If I select multiple and switch to vertex paint mode I can only work on the active mesh.

1 Like

btw does under pabloā€™s proposal for vertex painting
are there proposals of features that this addon proves (like just channel masking - it might not be obvious for pablo that this is essential vcol feature)?

I see. Donā€™t worry about my feature request, I was able to code it myself eventually. Thanks for the speedy reply though.

donā€™t know if this is the place or not (if it isnā€™t iā€™l ldelete the comment if u notify me so) but wanted to know; with vertex colour master can i add more than 8 layers of vertex colour?, i need it to make all the maps for my skin texture in the shader editor

tnx i nadvance for the reply

You can only add as many layers as blender allows to be added, so no, no more than 8 layers, unfortunately. Additionally, because of the way Vertex Color Masterā€™s isolate channel function works, it wonā€™t work correctly if you already have 8 layers. Itā€™s a fairly limited add-on to be honest, as I havenā€™t actually needed to use it that much outside of a couple of projects and therefore havenā€™t found features that I needed and wanted to add.

i see, so this wasnā€™t ur vertex master addon ( look the pic in the link https://blenderartists.org/uploads/default/original/4X/6/7/e/67ed52281fb59161c73ef525089f2eab40bcc8d0.jpeg ) but something else, i hope it 2.9 features since i really need many layer of vertx colour to use as map for my workflow

anyway tnx for u answer

No, it isnā€™t. That looks like a feature request that someone may have suggested for VCM or put on Right-Click Select for Blender itself. Something like that would be a nice improvement.

Hi!

Trying to blend two vertex channels - seems like blend function doesnt work

Blender 2.92

weird, it seems that it is working for me

kkar please, could you explain to me how to send multiple vertex colors from zbrush to blender? Is it possible in a single fbx file to send 2 or more vertex paintings?

Export the same model from Zbrush as two separate files each having its own vcols and use the data transfer modifier to transfer from one to another, so that you end up with one model having multiple vcols. The modifier can use the topology or the raycasting method. You can use the Gob Zbrush add-on to bring objects with vcol.

Thanks man!

This is a wonderful resource, thank you!

the vertex colour master is truly a godsend!- and charge a little money for it, if it helps you keep it up to date. :slight_smile: (I just noticed it is working in 3.0)

Now that things like Nanite exist, people might be using vertex paint workflows more often. at the moment I donā€™t use it, but iā€™ve dabbled and its so much better than what the base software offers! great job

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words, and Iā€™m glad some people are getting some use out of it.

I donā€™t desperately want to charge for it, but perhaps I should also offer it on Gumroad as people are more likely to pay if they like it I think. Iā€™ve had a few donations from some kind folks, and someone even sent some code for some of the features, but yeah, I should update it and fix the bugs, as the donations just make me feel guilty for not updating it! :smiley: I even used it myself today for the first time in a while.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be more than happy to purchase the plugin on Gumroad if it continues the development. If I may request a feature, vertex paint layers, with mix modes like overlay, multiply etc.

3 Likes

Hi. So a need to edit each vertex color channel separately has arisen at work, and I stumbled upon this addon and installed it on Blender 3.3. However, when clicking on ā€œIsolate active channelā€, filling with selected value, and applying the changes, it seems like the value is filled on all the other channels, and not the one I isolated. So for example I have a model that is painted 0.0.0 in all channels, I isolate G, want to fill it with 1 - result is 1.0.1 instead of expected 0.1.0.
I suppose itā€™s not intended behavior? Iā€™d select several channels to isolate to invert the logic, but itā€™s not allowed.

Thanks for the comment.

You are correct in that the result should be 0,1,0 instead of 1,0,1. When you isolate the active channel, the intended behaviour is that the addon creates a temporary color layer with only the isolated channelā€™s data in it so that you can effectively edit just that channel. When you click apply, it takes the temporary color layer and copies the data back into the original color layer channel data. However, there is a problem with isolate mode since Blender 3.2 and it doesnā€™t correctly switch to the temporary data layer, so any edits you make are probably still being made to the original data, which is very wrong.

There is a workaround here: https://github.com/andyp123/blender_vertex_color_master/issues/39
Frankly Iā€™m a bit embarrassed that I havenā€™t found a proper solution to this problem yet, since a few people use it for work and have asked if I could fix it, but I couldnā€™t figure it out in the short time I spent investigating. I will definitely try again over the Christmas holidays and if I can properly fix it I will make a new release and post here.

EDIT: The other workaround is to use the addon installed in Blender 3.1 or prior. You can install multiple copies of Blender with the portable .zip releases, so you can keep using 3.3 for the rest of the work. Sorry that these are the only current options.

2 Likes

Hi, I was trying this add-on to see if it could solve a problem I have, but it turns out it doesnā€™t work with Blender 3.3+.

I was trying to convert Vertex Paint data to Weight Paint so I can mirror it, but

Maybe itā€™s because ā€œVertex Colorsā€ are now called ā€œColor Attributesā€, but it seems the add-on gets buggy working with the new Color Attributes. The tool might show up for one of the one of them, but then donā€™t show up for others. And where it does show up, other Vertex Colors donā€™t show up as a possible source selection.

Yeah, Iā€™m really sorry. I even had some donations from people in the belief I would fix it soon, but I wasnā€™t able to fix the issues quickly, and have too much going on right now to devote time to it. If I ever get back to this addon, Iā€™m thinking a full rewrite may be on the cards eventually given that so much has changed in Blender between 2.8 and 3.6, and a lot of the legacy Python API will be removed completely sooner or later (I think Blender 4.0).

2 Likes