I made a new add-on that is designed to help make working with vertex color data a little bit easier. The core functions of the add-on allow you to invert, fill, clear, remap or posterize individual channels of the vertex color data, as well as copy, swap and blend channel data from source to destination. Just for good measure, I added weights and uv data as a possible source or destination for data to be copied to and from.
Current Version 0.75 - Lots of new features and improvements:
- Foreground and background colors both shown in UI and swappable in 2.79 (not just 2.79.1)
- Gradient tool - Paint colored gradients using the foreground and background colors.
- Random mesh coloring tool - A comprehensive tool for randomising mesh island colors. Useful for id map creation and other things.
- HSV adjustment tool - Adjust vertex colors using a tool similar to that in 2d graphics apps like Photoshop.
- Selection masking now uses Blender face and vertex masking.
- Lots of tweaks and fixes
v0.65 - Improved alpha support greatly, bug fixing and UI cleanup
v0.6 - Add ability to transfer data to and from UV layers, Fix version number
v0.05 - Add remap function to remap the range of values (similar to PS levels)
v0.04 - Add isolate channel mode, which allows you to paint a channel in grayscale mode and then apply those changes back to the original channel data.
v0.03 - Add support for operating on selected polygons or vertices.
v0.01 - Initial Release
It supports alpha, but only if you are using one of the latest Blender buildbot builds with the changes to Vertex Painting from GSOC 2017. The new version of Blender (2.79a) should support vertex alpha when it is released soon.
The add-on, along with usage instructions can be found on my GitHub page here: https://github.com/andyp123/blender_vertex_color_master
Or downloaded directly by clicking this link.
Feature suggestions or bugs reports are welcome, please let me know in the comments below, or on the issue tracker on Github.