Very mean Compositor Bug!!!

Ok, I wanted to create this thread to just have more attention on this topic! I’ve already submitted a bug report! Maybe someone of the developers will read this here too!

Here is my bugreport, I hope you get what I want to say. It is not that easy to exlpain. Esspecially for me as not native english speaker :slight_smile:

Ok, this is a very very mean bug!!! I hope I can explane this well!!!

If I create a scene with a cube. Turn on limits for my camera and set the dof distance to the cube. Now I switch to
composite nodes. Add a defocus node and create a blur effect! So far so good. Works as known and without problems.

If I now create a full copy of this scene and set the dof distance in that scene to some different value and render
the scene again.
Rendering my scene.001 again doesn’t give me any result.

Ok, I switch back to the node editor. Set my new scene (Scene.001) in the Renderlayer node. Hit F12, And get a result
but without defocus.
So now here is the problem. I have to replace ALL Nodes with a new one! I need to create a new Composite Node to get
a render result.
But thats not all. If I want to have the dof values of my scene.001 I also have to create a new defocus node, and so
on. I cannot copy my original defocus node. I have to set all values completely new.

I send a blend file in which this problem occurs. The upper nodes are as they should work for this scene.001.
The lower nodes are the ones copied from scene. If you select the viewer you get a complete different result.

This is very bad for larger projects. If you have some complex node setups you need to replace all nodes. And just copying
them won’t work. You have to create them from scratch.

I hope this bug gets a hight priority! I think this is something very critical!!!

And here is the file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1250100/Blender/DofTest.blend
I ask myself how they got that managed in durian!!! :slight_smile:

I think you’ve accidentally enabled “do sequence” in the ‘anim’ tab.
Try disabling it :wink:

EDIT:
Sorry - there does seem to be a bug (I was using 2.49)

EDIT2:
All right, i think i’ve figured out what the problem is.
When you create a new scene “full copy”, the compositing
nodes will be an exact copy of the original nodes, meaning
it will actually render the original scene - not the scene you
are working on. To change this, go into the node editor,
And in the “Render layers” node, change the scene to the
scene you want rendered, and adjust the render layer as well.
I had no problems with other nodes after i did this.

EDIT2:
All right, i think i’ve figured out what the problem is.
When you create a new scene “full copy”, the compositing
nodes will be an exact copy of the original nodes, meaning
it will actually render the original scene - not the scene you
are working on. To change this, go into the node editor,
And in the “Render layers” node, change the scene to the
scene you want rendered, and adjust the render layer as well.
I had no problems with other nodes after i did this.

Thats what I’ve done. It doesn’t matter. The defocus node still uses the values from the first scene!