well not really an explosion, more of a bursting into flames but oh well!
so, i originally tried to do something with after effects, but as that is a stupidly complicated, un-intuitive, RAM hogging piece of garbage, i decided to have a go with blender, but not being able to figure out how to attach my stock footage into the scene and have it track to the background layer, I decided to try using the smoke+fire sim and here is my result
a few extra notes:
the original footage was filmed on a samsung galaxy ace II which has the worst camera a phone has seen since 1991.
filmed at 640x480 and subsequently corrupted by trying to work with it in AE. (there is a portion of the footage that skips back to the first frame for 4 frames before resuming). Blender still managed to track it with a .06 solve error!
and i know it would look better it there were reflections on the surroundings but i havn’t figured that part out yet.
oh, and i hate my boss so you can all look forward to more vindictive filming in the near future