Video capture on Linux

The video editor on Blender works great. But the one thing I’m missing is the ability to capture video to provide source material. Is there software available for Linux (Ubuntu in particular) that will allow the capture of gameplay video on openGL and which will use the hardware codecs available on nvidia CUDA cards? My google-fu only turned up some older links – nothing really current, or at least none that said they supported CUDA and hardware codecs.

Hello
this one its quite good:
http://recordmydesktop.sourceforge.net/about.php
but there are other ones available:
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1229
Bye

I saw those pages, but I don’t think any of those will work with capturing openGL screens from a game or use the hardware h.264 codec that’s built into the newer video cards.

Dedoimedo: glc - The Linux FRAPS

Hello again,
it takes more or less 3 mn to install one of those softs…
Then start your game and the screen grabber…and you’ll see the result.
Good luck!
Bye

glc looks like it has potential. I was looking for something like FRAPS that would run under Linux.

edit: Hmmm. Looks like support for glc was dropped over 5 years ago, so I’m guessing it doesn’t support hardware codecs.

I use SimpleScreenRecorder but haven’t tried it for capturing gameplay (though it says it works).

VDPAU (Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix) is a royalty-free API as well as its implementation as free and open-source library (libvdpau) distributed under the MIT License.The VDPAU interface is to be implemented by device drivers to offer end-user software, such as VLC media player or GStreamer, access to available video acceleration hardware, such a PureVideo or Unified Video Decoder and make use of it.VDPAU is targeted at Unix-like operating systems (including Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris).
VDPAU allows video programs to access the PureVideo function blocks to offload portions of the video decoding process and video post-processing.Currently, the portions capable of being offloaded by VDPAU onto the GPU[clarification needed] are motion compensation (mo comp), inverse discrete cosine transform (iDCT), VLD (variable-length decoding) and deblocking for MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 ASP (MPEG-4 Part 2), H.264/MPEG-4 AVC and VC-1, WMV3/WMV9 encoded videos.[4] Which specific codecs of these that can be offloaded to the GPU depends on the generation version of the GPU hardware;
specifically, to also decode MPEG-4 ASP (MPEG-4 Part 2), Xvid/OpenDivX (DivX 4), and DivX 5 formats, a GeForce 200M (2xxM) Series (the eleventh generation of Nvidia’s GeForce graphics processing units) or newer GPU hardware is required.

Try Vokoscreen it’s very good.