Video: workday (cycles)

Hi guys,
I tried to capture the feel of a lonesome early morning ride to work in a video for a song i made. Everything is rendered in cycles and composited in premiere.

8 Likes

It’s not an action… but I like it a lot :D!
Especially all those small details like the perfect motion on the train from the inside, the graffiti, the smoke outside the windows, the changes in light when you came closer to the city, the reflections on houses where the train passes by, the other train that you pass and do on.
Very well done and you must be a person with a lot of patience, rendering all of this in cycles!!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:
haha yes it took a long time to render everything… and to render it again because i missed something or wanting it different… and again…

Great job. The timing of video (velocity of train, movement, light…) is great.
Sorry for my english

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

Only thing I could possibly complain about is lack of people on train, but that’s not a big issue :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha yes I find persons in general quite difficult to pose let alone animate and since I wanted to have a lonesome feel to it, i just didn’t consider them entirely…

Are you kidding me? This is so great… I like the song a lot. Can’t believe you created such an environment for your train to go through. And the lighting and perspective of the buildings at different distances is beautiful. You thought of so many little details and tried to put them in (like the light dimming). I could think of so many positives, that I just may skip trying to list them. So I can say a few things that may be different. I thought there was too much graffiti (would have liked 50% of it). The main thing is the scene from 2;29 to 2;46. This is the first time outside the train and since it is uninhabited, this is more apparent when you “pan” (don’t know camera lingo) down the length of the train and show multiple cars. Once you get to the far-away shot at 2;47, it is fine. Some ideas I had were (but I don’t know what will work) more opaque/scratchy glass that hides the inside, moving the camera more quickly and/or just moving it away rather than down the length of the train, simply replacing this outside shot with more inside footage. It’s even ok until 2;34, when you get to the windows of the next car. At 2;34 you could start zooming out and maybe rotate to look down the tracks.

2 Likes

Thank you so much :slight_smile: it’s true the train looks quite deserted in the outside shot (which is odd being a workday morning in a big city). I wanted to leave people out, since I have never used them in a scene and making them fit in would be a whole new chapter for me… in the end I was still satisfied because I like the slow zooming out of the camera, with the iron beams slurring by giving a sense of speed…

1 Like

There are so many things to like about, wish i wasn’t so tired to list.
Really enjoyed this, great work, framing, camera, etc… really… nice job, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: