View port clipping does not function

Hello,

Can anyone please tell me what’s the issue with the setting in view port clipping, as I can not adjust the default settings in the clip far view beyond 1000m?

I can delete the default settings, but the app does not recognize any other inputs, and remains at 1000m’s.

Is this a known glitch in 4.0.2, or Am I missing something? I also had the same issue in version 3.6.2. Is there a windows 10 issue, this is very annoying.

• Cheers to all.

That sounds like a glitch in your startup file. Its the way it has carried on from 3.6.2 that make me think this.
If you do a File > Defaults > Load Factory Settings and the problem is gone, then you need to save that as the default, and redo any tweaks. If you have paid addons copy the folder somewhere before saving the new default scene - then copy them all back again.

Give it a day though - someone may provide a solution that means not starting anew with the setup.

Thank you,

Cheers mate!

Hello again,

Okay, so I am using the latest portable version (4.0.2), and cleared out all known files from the previous install, which was also 4.0.2. And I am still having issues with the viewport far clipping.

When I did a fresh install it looked as if everything was back to normal, but after opening one of two models the viewport acted dumb again, and now I can’t change the range out beyond the default 1000m

I tried reset default settings using the file/defaults/load factory settings, but could find the defaults/settings under file???

I then went to edit/load factory settings, and still nothing!

So what gives???

Thank you!

Are you typing of sliding that value?
Also, do you have a unit scale setup in the scene units.

The view clipping like most slider has soft and hard limits, you can’t slide the value past it’s soft limit. You can type in a larger value though.

Typically the soft limit is 10,000 meters though, so I’m not sure why yours is limiting at 1,000?

Hello,

Well, at first I tried to slide it up, but it was very slow and unresponsive, meaning it took several clicks just to get it to slide a few meters out, like i.e. 1007m etc.,

Then I saw other people typing it in, in various videos, which initially worked great, but now, there is no response, at all. And the distant box remains blank, no matter what numbers I try to type in.

I tried to enter 10000 m/ or 100000 m and nothing.

I am on:

Windows 10 Pro 22H2
32-GB Ram
AMD Ryzen 5 5600U with Radeon Graphics 2.30 GHz.

• Cheers!

With the default scene I can move the Cube to 1500m with a Clip End of 1500m and see it flash if I rotate the view around. However, it will disappear if you have Viewport anti-aliasing enabled because the fog near the end of the clip will blend it out.

I believe clip is GPU based(depth buffer) and it only has so much resolution. You may need to up the Clip Start to get a better fidelity.

Something is just wrong with your install or computer if you can’t drag from the default of 1000m to a lower or higher value. Also, Radeon graphics cards aren’t exactly known for great drivers either. I personally can’t stand them, they’re always causing trouble.

Hello,

Thank you, so I updated my AMD drivers, and there was a NET.framework update, and it worked a brief moment and then I restarted the app and got nothing once again

This leads me to believe it is a software issue, as it works intermittently. If it was a hardware issue is wouldn’t switch back and forth.

• Cheers!

Can you tell us more about how it isn’t working?

If you type in a smaller number, what happens?
What about a bigger number?

Can you change the camera clip on a camera object, rather than the viewport clip?

Are you using a mouse or touchpad?
Can you change other values?
Does it still happen with factory settings?

Hello,

Okay, so I have tried reseting factory settings which does seem to reset the apps other settings, but does nothing for viewport, I have looked at some other camera settings, but I am still trying to get familiar with blender, so my experience is limited.

And as previously stated, I deleted the portable app, and all files, including any hidden ones, that I could find. And then I and re-downloaded version 4.0.2 and am still having the same issues with viewport.

I can delete the viewports default scale settings, but the app does not allow me to input anything else, and only accepts the default settings.

Are there any registry, or other config files that get installed somewhere else, as this is the portable 4.0.2 version? I can not for the life of me understand what is up with the app, as it was just fine.

Yes, I had some standard windows updates, and just updated my AMD Ryzen drivers, but, the viewpoint settings has worked intermittently, to nothing.

Perhaps someone can be kind enough to suggest a few other settings to try?

• Cheers!

Update, I tried to open 4.0.2 and it froze saying it was blender 3 in the border, then it open after a few moments as 4.0.2. And now the view-port is working again at least for the moment.

Maybe the app finally reset???

Cheers!

Is it possible you have some kind of software/driver for mouse/touchpad gestures that might be interfering?

Hello everyone,

I believe I may have found the culprit, I updated my AMD drivers and then updated my .NET to 8.0, the problem I believe is that there are to many apps, running in the background that use .net and my cause blender to freeze up.

I can use blender without issue, at least for the moment, anyway this may be something others may need to look into.

Cheers!

1 Like