Viewport Background Image

Hi, I am working on modelling a car in Blender 2.8, but orthographic images are lacking although i have managed to make workable images, I want to work to more detailed close up images, but I cannot figure out how to set the workspace background to an image rather than a simple colour, in SketchUp I always import images as a background and align the camera view to the image (which is very hard to do by simply using an empty/plane background), want to be able to do the same here…

Many thanks
Matt

Hi and Welcome,

Hoping to answer your question… :grinning:

For example:
A possibility with a background image.

You switch to Face view.
Add > Image > Background.

You have the possibility to refine some options accessible from the Object Data Properties tab.

You also have the possibility to add an image as a plane.

First, make sure that the [Import Images as Planes] addon is activated.

File > Import > Images as Planes

As I understand it you are looking for the camera background in the camera menu.
You can assign different backgrounds to different cameras. (also ortographic) and with Ctrl+0 (numpad) you select the active camera. with ctrl+alt+0 (numpad) you switch to the active camera view. But
the usual method since 2.80 is the “images as planes” as @FreeAccess describes.

The issue is the background image disappears whenever I rotate the view, which makes it hard to align the model to the photo… Same with if its on a plane, its hard to align it if it keeps moving about with every adjustment. Also I am struggling to change the FOV of the workspace view…

:wink:
Indeed, that’s why I told you:

You have the possibility to refine some options accessible from the Object Data Properties tab.

==> With Background Image: