Virin - A Character for Film (Beginner Stage)

Okay, I did like Grant have done with the cube by scaling it to zero. Now, where do I start from here to create a base mesh for my monster? I have a body reference image for the character. I only need to get started on the cube’s modeling of the body (front and side view).

Do I follow his example of making the base for it? Not the whole mesh, but only the body part in the middle.

you need to ’ merge ’ the points of the cube, in edit mode, to ’ get ’ a single vertex, then you can extrude it using ’ e ', just like a surface, and then you can build a wire - version - - then you can add the ’ skin ’ modifier ( or, solidify ) and, after that a sub-division surface, to make it look nice, that’s a good method, for making a base mesh - - the idea of the base mesh isn’t to slow you down, but to make some-thing that’s very easy to move around, so you get all the parts in the right place, then you can start sculpting, adding the details - -

Like this? I just need the back of the body before I do the tail for my monster. Do I make a second cube for the back?

See attached, use the skin modifier to make a basic base mesh.Skin.blend (455.6 KB)

Apply all the modifiers when done and then move on to dynamic sculpting.

I now got two body meshes and I want to have them to join each other. Is there a way to do that? The second is the head of the mesh. Any idea how is welcome.

Never mind. I found out how to join the meshes together. So, where do I go from here? Add the skin modifier and the subdivision surface modifier?

Okay, what is it that I do here? How do I fill in the holes of the base mesh that I have when I added the Skin and Subdivision Modifiers? I’d like to fill in the gaps so I can begin sculpting on the mesh. Help, please.

You’re not doing it correctly, you’re trying to draw the outline of the creature.
Think of it as making balloon animals.

Do I need to start over from scratch to do it correctly? Like, to follow the reference image and make the inner part as well?

Well what do you have so far?

Can’t really give advice without knowing what the reference looks like.

Also, you’re probably sick of videos by now but here is a video from start to finish for creature sculpting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZnUgt659oI&feature=emb_logo

Note that you don’t have to use the skin modifier to create a base mesh, it’s just easier for some.

The reference looks like Legendary Godzilla from the '14 movie (yes, I’m modeling after that) and therefore I would like to try and get my own details onto my character, such as wings for example.

In a nutshell: YouTube / YanSculpts:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfjswDVU0XHyBN7UFG0Mi5Q

Just if anyone’s curious to know what I’m attempting to create. This is Godzilla (2014) from Legendary Pictures’ MonsterVerse franchise. I’ll be adding my own details and shape of my creature after the basic sculpt is finished.

If anyone has some good tips on how I can make my own version of this monster, I’ll be happy to know if you’d like to assist me in my film project on the sculpts.

I’ll be continuing doing work on Virin tomorrow after I finish my work at a cafe in my hometown. Until then, I’ll be doing my own thing (listening to music). So, see you guys tomorrow for when I get home.

Hey, guys. I am back with this character I wanted to sculpt.

So, I made a base mesh for the monster today (two months after I made this topic) and I could really use your help with the details of it to make a full-size Kaiju.

Here’s the screenshot (with reference):

Any ideas how I can sculpt the details will be useful for me (such as, which Sculpt Tool do I use, etc?). Thanks.