Volumetric Glow Effect

A few days ago I got this idea of using Blender Volumetrics to create a glow effect around an emission object. It took me a bit of time to get it like I wanted it, but I think it turned out pretty well. So I thought some of you might find this interesting.
First of all I created 2 materials, one with a texture to make the glow seem less smooth, and one without. Here’s a comparison:

Here are the node setups.
Without texture:

And With texture:

I know this is fairly simple, but this is my first post in here so I’m not quite sure how much I should simplify it

Looking good thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Yes uldsko Great Thanks! Very useful!

Hmmm, nice idea might be a good way to create the Sun’s corona. Perhaps some voroni texture to simulate magnetic tendrils?

You do need quite a lot of samples to get it to look smooth, 600-1000 samples I’d say

like YAFU posted, prepare to have your mind blown when you switch to an emission shader and get the same result in 1 sample!

That’s really awesome! I didn’t know you could actually use an emission shader as volume. But I wouldn’t say it’s the same result, but it’s still very impressive! And I couldn’t resist to try and make a little animation using this :wink: