Vortex doesn't let fire rise

Hello.

I am trying to make a low fire ring, that has a slight twist to it, like it is gently swirling around the centre.

I am happy with how the fire looks by itself, but when I add the Vortex effector, the flames stop rising and just stay at the inflow object’s level. How do I make the flames rise up primarily, while also slowly rotating?

ring_fire2.blend (805.0 KB)

I believe that the first problem you have in your file is that you have scaled your domain and did not apply the scale to the mesh. The emitter is also scaled without applying the scale. The roof of your domain is a bit too low. You did not give enough fuel to your fire emission, try something bigger I found out that something around 1.5 is perfect. The strength of the vortex is too high and the shape is set to plane. Change the shape to point and the strength to 0.2
With those changes you should have something like this. in this case I used the resolution on domain 64.

This with the resolution on 128 as you had before. I don’t know if you need all that resolution, but that’s with you:

If you don’t want the fire so strong, don’t change the fuel, but you must change the shape and the strength of the vortex.

I’ve made a test setting back the fuel to 1, the vortex shape set o point, and strength back to 1. Things are a bit wild.

This is how it should look with the fuel on 1 and the vortex shape set to point and the strength to 0.3:

Thanks!
Life got in the way. I’ll give it a go.
Though… one of the problems before was that changing parameters didn’t really affect much unless I cleared the cache every time, so i’ll be running blind. Idk, that’s my own problem, thanks again!

1 Like