Vox - Voxel Tools And Tile Map Generator

Get here:

Vox is an add-on for Blender which can be used as a voxel editor or tile map generator.

Example as a voxel editor:

Example as a world generator:

Using tile sets, not only can you build houses in different shapes and variations, but also apply colors and geometry nodes effects. Example tile sets:

3 new tools will be added into edit mode:

Add voxels, Paint voxels and remove voxels.

Blender 3.1 only!

Download links and more info: https://multlabs.com/blog/vox

12 Likes

Any idea why this has disappeared from Blender Market and if it’ll be returning any time soon? I recently bought a copy, love it, and would hate to see it discontinued. The results are great.

1 Like

Yep, thanks for pointing that, I haven’t noticed. I think, my account has been suspended due to it is Russian based. You know, I spend a lot of time doing this add-on and I don’t want to lose my ability to share it. So I decided to share it for free:

If you don’t mind, send your best artworks to me ([email protected]) and I will make a gallery at add-on webpage.

If you want to support my development, please share the add-on and post information about them.

5 Likes

You can also put it on Gumroad and itch.io, allowing people to give you donations for it!

2 Likes

@Michael_Knubben I have no reason to do this, because:

1. If someone donate money, I will not get a cent.
  2. Gumroad and others may block my account too.
  3. I made a good navigation and image loading for articles, and site well-optimized

So my website is a good choice I think.

2 Likes

That sucks about the Russian thing so many dumb run sites going along with that stupid narrative,
clueless people fed legacy media lies daily.

Anyway I checked the addon, is pretty good it seems incompatible with https://formaffinity.gumroad.com/l/FKhQL …think the free one would show the problem with maya style [alt]+[rmb] viewport navigation. When active in your addon for drawing voxels I can’t use [alt]+[rmb] to rotate around the viewport… Until I come out of the drawing mode.

Also when dragging a rectangle shape… it always defaults to vertical plane, would be better if it defaulted to horizonal if the drawing a shape out from the side of a voxel, and vertical plane if drawing a rectangle fill selection from the top or bottom of an existing voxels… or maybe provide a hotkey to switch the direction of it before releasing [lmb]

Anyway good addon, thought it was about time there was a proper way to do voxels in blender, surprised it’s taken this long given other voxel based apps have been around for so long. Even 3d coat has a good voxel drawing tools… hopefully you can add more tooling features for this :slight_smile:

@Koolio you can try to change shortcuts in Vox, they are customizable.

And this should work from sides, are you sure that it doesn’t work?

Peek 2022-04-13 01-02

Oh ok… I see the in the keymap is ‘Preview voxel position’ which is bound to Alt+Lmb… that was causing the Maya like navigation to stop work when in your tool… dunno if that hotkey is part of your stuff?

Didn’t see it do anything if it was… but disabling it allows me to use the normal maya navigation to rotate around things again :slight_smile:

Also the 2nd image of drawing rectangles… i get how it sort of works now… still if you are on side of a face you want to extrude the face out or like the opposite rectangle plane… you can’t… so have to make a block next to it, and then use that adjacent face to make rectangle in that direction to do it… would be nice if there were a modifier hotkey to switch the direction?

And when painting… I don’t see the brush color settings etc… using Blender 3.1.1 … would be cool to see some more documentation or tutorial walk through.

There is a draw and extrude mode - you can draw a rectangle, and extrude on a second click.

Very cool addon, but I can’t figure out how to download and use the tiles, when I click on the download link, I get a lot of strange characters.

Right click → Save as…

1 Like

Article at 80lv! Nice to have this one:

Hi All! Vox add-on has been updated for Blender 3.2.

1 Like

Thanks for this update. I have tested your addon but unfortunately I don’t understand how to draw geometry ? I can only draw cube but can’t find the way to draw geometry …
I have check the mario example file but don’t understand.

I just tested it in 3.6 and it works fine. Click and hold to draw more than single voxel. You have to be in Edit mode to see the Draw voxel tool.

Its been a wile since you have updated, dont know if your still active
I tested this on 4.1 and it mostly works still only the wireframe UI dosnt show for when drawing you can still draw you just cant see the wireframe ui

works on 3.6 though

I did wonder about having the ability to rotate blocks along with there snap points

I see this as one block not two i just made it as two separate in the image
The bend could be done procedurally and have it so when this element is drawn it also places a empty in the same place that we can use to rotate

In addition we could use the new asset browser to setup the blocks or the whole collections and use this as an alternative way to select

You can select an asset and it remains highlighted wile drawing so this could be used to automatically set what block to place

It is effectively becomes a build menu, and in some sense can simplify things if we can just select individual blocks this way
Just add it as a mode here, ‘Asset Mode’

Sorry for late reply, I had meningitis for a long time and now I hav no ability to support add-on at least for some time. Moreover there are a quite a lot good add-ons for building citys, so I think to grop support of this add-on. But source code is avaliable, so you can fix bugs by yourown.