VSE memory problem

I want to edit some 4k videos.
Because it’s a bit slow on my computer I want to do it this way:

• first render a low res video
  • put that into the same blender file
  • add a effect strip to the low ress video ( I want to edit the speed )
  • once I’m satisfied, copy the efftect strip onto the high res video and render it

Now the problem is that the low res video runs very slow in the original file ( the one with all the 4k footage in it ). I did hide all the 4k videos but this has no effect.
It runs perfect in a new file, so I think this is a memory problem.

Is there a way to work around this problem?
Can I edit it in a new file, and then copy the effect strip to the original file.
If you have another solution, I am also interested of course.

This may be an obvious question from me, but are you rendering proxies for these videos? If not, that’d be a good start to make things run faster. I always go 50% or 25% if it gets really slow playback. It also takes out the step of having to render a low-res preview video, as blender will basically
do that automatically.

If that doesn’t work, then working between two blend files like you said could work, just make sure only one version of the video is there to avoid the extra memory use. You can be sure of that by cleaning up unused data blocks in the Files tab.

1 Like

How do I build these proxy correctly?
Can I just select 25% in that drop down menu, or is there more I need to do?
Because when I do that - it seems - Blender creates a few proxy but at some point it crashes ( and even crashes my whole pc, can’t start Blender after that, I need to re-start my pc ).

In property menu in the bottom area, there is a “Proxy” tab, do I need to do something there?

Blender will automatically build the proxies, yea.
If it’s crashing, then it might just be too much for your pc to handle, unfortunately. I just tried it out to be sure and memory consumption skyrockets as soon as blender renders the proxy.
I suggest either optimizing the best you can or go with the other method. You could try newer versions of blender too- I’ve heard the VSE has better playback now, so maybe memory consumption won’t be as bad there.