Vulkan discussion split from elsewhere

The thing that is actually slow is the round-trip between the CPU and the GPU.

With Vulkan it might be possible to have all the geometry data operations happen on GPU without needing to move data back and forth all the time such that up to a point only entering and exiting sculpt mode would be slow.

However that would come at the cost of raising minimum GPU requirements(as well as making the sculpting code base likely significantly more complex and harder to maintain).

There will always be some kind of a cost somewhere.

However that would come at the cost of raising minimum GPU requirements

From side of nvidia (i not interested in other GPUs) vulkan suport added started from GT630-GTX650 https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver - this GPUs is from 2012!!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_600_series
And because all of that - i personaly do not understan why some one from devs do not add (if this is what stops him, from this) some new features “just because” to have this feature users Must have GPUs from 2012 in mid 2020.
If some one now want RTX fetures (optix)- they silently upgrade to RTX card.
If users wants vulkan - i sure they can afford GPU from 2012!

please! developers if it possible - add vulkan support!

Yes, they render in a special viewport, not the common way most 3D apps do.

From
http://docs.pixologic.com/getting-started/basic-concepts/the-canvas-document/

ZBrush isn’t quite like other 3D packages because of its 2D elements: it doesn’t have a 3D scene, but rather has a 2.5D canvas document on which you can draw 3D objects. Many of ZBrush’s signature and most powerful features are made possible by the fact that ZBrush uses a depth-enabled canvas rather than a full 3D space.

How they zoom on The scene is also very uncommon due to how their rendering works

The Zoom controls in the Document palette act on the canvas, enlarging the pixols. So if you zoom in far enough, you will start to see the individual pixols and the image will lose definition. It is just like enlarging an image in a photo editor.

When you are working on a 3D model in Edit mode and want to get in close, you don’t use the canvas zoom. Instead you Scale the object. Scaling the object means you’ll be able to get in as close as you want and work on tiny details without any loss of definition. Note that scaling doesn’t change the true size of the object; it only affects how much of the canvas your object takes up.

Zbrush will always stay way faster because it’s a lot more faster and efficient rendering approach.

@TheRedWaxPolice
Do you believe more in what random internet guy says or Pixologic documentation :joy:

BTW, Zbrush is dedicassed sculpting app since long time, Blender won’t become Zbrush until they hire a team dedicaced to scultping.

Meanwhile Blender is already very capable, those needing absolutely sculpting high rez on Blender instead of using Zbrush, have a solution that is invest in a top notch 3D card like Nvidia Quadro RTX 8000, but this will cost lot more than buying a Zbrush license.

3 Likes

I have yet to touch with my own hands a computer or laptop that runs vulcan. Outside of pc gaming cliques most people are running intel integrated graphics. Over 500 laptops and desktops in the 3 schools and 2 libraries across the street from my house, none of them support vulkan. I have downloaded blender 2.79 or 2.80 on over 30 of them and in my limited testing they all ran fine.

and because of that blender and developers must not use vulkan? again if users want vulkan - then THEY must have hardware (from 2012 at least :sunglasses:)

p.s. ebay just now http://prntscr.com/sqsf9m - GPU for vulkan cost 3 or 5 cups of cappuccino https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/03/13/16/3E3A6D7B00000578-0-image-a-85_1489422007756.jpg
this is even not funny - if developers technically can add vulkan in blender - then vulkan MUST appear As Soon As Possible!

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005524/graphics-drivers.html

As I’ve said before, if you’re not willing to stay within the current decade for hardware, then CG/VFX just isn’t the hobby for you. You cannot stand still in a tech heavy field and expect to stay competitive. Vulkan is the way the industry is moving, both in content creation, and real-time content delivery. Ignoring it would be foolish.

5 Likes

Unless they have a mission statement stating otherwise I was under the impression that Blender was meant to liberate all artists of all skill levels from the opressive costs of “pro” software. Many tens of thousands of people who never would have even tried 3d are getting into it thanks to Blender existing. Many people around the world on the crappiest computers are using Blender. I watched a video of young child in a rural part of the philipines drawing animated fish in grease pencil the other day. The viewport was moving at barely 24 fps, but they were enjoying themselves. That kid is much better at drawing and animating than I will ever be and they’re probably not even 12 years old yet. If a combination of OS updates, driver updates, and Blender updates takes Blender away from them a year or 2 from now it will be a loss to art and humanity in my opinion. Before Blender makes any big moves to be on the “bleeding edge” of expensive technology that 2/3 of the planet cannot afford, I pray they make a spin-off foundation focused on supporting 2.79 and 2.80 for as long as possible.

4 Likes

well not only paid software can be a problem for artists, thank god exist a free program like blender to make what most of 3d and vfx softwares does, ofc is not dedicated to any area in specific but has a little of everything,but also the techs used are other problem, nowdays there isnt yet completely a fully real time and physically realistic based rendering engine (uncounting unreal 5 engine improvements)t, but the more this techs improves, the more expensive will be and it wont be accessible to artist (imagine the best, powerfull,real time pbr, rtx, etc rendering engine for more than +20 k $ only just one single 1tb vram graphic card for example (perhaps not 1tb and either such price or more and also perhaps we will be still using them (the graphic cards) in the future i guess?)) and yes for sure blender and many prograns wont run in a few years (or maybe not) in a latest intel or amd processor of today…as well will require more ram and gpu than usually used nowdays…

1 Like

Old versions of blender aren’t going anywhere. Want new features? Get new hardware.

10 Likes

There is a simple solution

Blender should include two exe programs :

• Compatible version (running on any old hardware)
  • Vulkan version (for people whose hardware meets minimum requirement)

3D coat, do that in some way letting the user choose the rendering engine (DX or OpengL).

1 Like

Who will pay the developers to disable the functions inside - only for people who do not want to buy a video card for $ 10?(This constantly needs to be done in which instruments the vulkan is used and in which there are no and selectively to collect them by cutting out some functions and all because someone at the edn of the world would not buy a video card for $ 10 https://prnt.sc/sqsf9m )

3D coat, do that in some way letting the user choose the rendering engine (DX or OpengL).

this is irrelevant comparison - they did not turn OFF function inside package - they compile SAME functionality with different API.

p.s. what you and i write here is - OFF topic

Simply fallback to CPU or DX or what Blender uses for common rendering when people does not have a 3D card able to run Vulkan.

The render has nothing to do with Blender functionnality whatever is modeling, sculpting ro animations.

Be able to choose between actual render and a Vulkan render is to let people get a boost when their 3D card allows it.
It would be sad to not take advantage of big performance boost allowed using Vulkan for a majority of people having low entry cards like GTX 960 or better.

DX this will lock blender on windows

Simply fallback to CPU

blender is from 2.5 version - require OpenGL 1.3 and from 2.7X OpenGL 3.3 your words about CPU is kind of silly

The render has nothing to do with Blender functionnality

again - silly - because render of viewport - this is bind to ALL. YOu in other threads probably read about viewport performance - this is all about GPU (again blender is from 2.5 version - require OpenGL 1.3 and from 2.7X OpenGL 3.3)

in order to support vulkan peoples must have GPU from 2012 - GT630 or GTX 650 - which cost 10$ on ebay… or buy GPU for 10$ or not use blender
https://blenderartists.org/t/pablo-dobarros-master-plan-for-sculpting-and-painting-development-news/1150731/5533?u=bnzs

I live in the U.S. , probably the richest country in the world. 6 years ago some students far from my location learned blender and made a short film about an archaeological site. They sold it to a local museum and get a lot of donations from people affiliated with the museum. They used the money to replace some of their school’s ancient desktops and crt monitors with laptops. You cannot install a $10 video card in a laptop. Those old desktops were given to the library near me. I did a search for $10 video cards. Many of them would not fit in these cases and most of these motherboards have no pci express expansion slots. I tried to teach a Blender course at this library but Blender 2.80 only ran properly on 2 of the computers. This library will probably inherit computers from the 3 schools across the street from it. They will all be laptops and old desktops you can’t put a new video card in.

5 Likes

Fortunately for users of old hardware, there should still be gobs of optimization possibilities in the area of modeling and sculpting.

The BF should make sure multires, editmode, and friends are nicely optimized before resorting to Vulkan (for the same reason why they did not go straight to implementing GPU deformation for OpenSubDiv). I do think anything to do with modeling is not even close to seeing Vulkan as the only way to speed things up further (as an example, just look at the long list of optimization todos for editmode alone).

2 Likes