VW New Beetle | new render with decals

Hi,

I think i am done with this one. Presenting the New Beetle - a car that i returned to after nearly five years since i started with Blender (v2.36). It was fun.

And here’s one with HDRi and backplate:

Rally decals:

Feel free to rate/criticize/comment/leave feedback…

Thanks to everyone who commented and helped out at WIP stage. I know it’s not perfect, but it’s time to move on.

Thanks

Anuraag
New Delhi, India

Blender internal?

The car looks great, though i think it could get composited better into the scene.
the car looks to bright for the background.

it looks great! i like the bold colors, although it think the window may need a little stronger mirror effects

That’s AMAZING!!! I could never do that. Congrats

black plate?

It looks awesome! especially the studio renders, I have agree with freemind that it does seem a bit bright in the 3rd scene compared to the rest of the renders, but it still looks pretty good!

exellent work!
how did you render it?

Thanks everyone.
@Freemind: Yes. It’s Blender Internal. All of them.

Can someone please explain to me what a backplate is?

It’s basically a plane with an image texture (can also be applied with either nodes or in post-processing with alpha masks) that is used as a background for our CG model/scene. Like in the third image, the car is cg while the background image is a photograph.

I think that you did a very fine job with this. The only suggestion that I would make is that you might wish to lay-in just a little bit more reflection on the windshield. A very slight halo on some of the specular points might be a nice touch – so long as it is very, very restrained. (You don’t want it to be noticed.)

good job on the bug it came out really well.

my only nitpick is that I wish you hadn’t used that particular hdri its a bit like what the barcelona chair is to arch vis way overused. it must mean a lot of people sign up for thomas suurland’s site get the sample and that it. But this is a small nitpick because its the car that is on show.

4 stars from me

Looks great. My only comment would be that in the 3rd render it appears to have 2 sunsets. one in the background,and another being reflected by the front bumper of the car.

Thanks to everyone for liking it. Presenting a textured version (check out the first post).

I am aware of the ‘two sunsets’ phenomena in the HDRi image - it’s time blender allowed for rotating the HDR maps - a la octane. (I know i could have rotated the scene, but i was lazy.)

Thanks

Anuraag

wow. i like this car, looks like an old car but with new design+technology. Do you create this car only for portfolio or something else?

Good job! The version with rally decals is great.

Wow looks sick!