Wacom Intuos Pro, multiple monitors, Blender overriding tablet mapping

hello, I’m a novice Blender user. I’m being required to do more production work in Blender lately, and I have an issue that I’ve been struggling with. I have a multi-display Windows setup, using a Wacom Intuos Pro. I use the tablet drivers to map the tablet surface to my larger display only, and use my second monitor for reference/chat/etc. Blender has a tendency to reset the mapping to use both displays. this happens every time Blender opens a new floating dialog (file > save as, file > imprt, etc.).

I’ve tried to assign a specific profile to Blender within the Wacom Properties application, but that causes other issues… trying to select the top of a Blender popup window such as the save dialog causes the mapping to switch back to 2 monitor and the cursor jumps around, and then the mapping needs to be reset.

no amount of updating drivers, updating Windows, restarts, or starting/stopping the Wacom service has resolved this issue. while not impossible to work around, it is super annoying having to constantly mess with the tablet settings. has anyone had this issue before and found a solution? thanks!!!

Hi, I don’t encounter this issue but try setting your Wacom preferences to this :
(uncheck all but one of your monitors)

This should exclude your other monitor from the configuration.

I actually encountered an eerily similar issue (similar symptoms on similar hardware). I’ll describe it here because perhaps it’s the same underlying problem : when coming back from sleep, any running Blender instance will have its pen mapping’s aspect ratio changed (presumably as if I had “maintain ratio” uncheck in the tablet settings). I couldn’t manage fixing it with Blender running, it needs a restart to map nicely again. And this happens only on the main Blender window, any pop-ups (file browser, image editor…) keep the correct aspect ratio, which causes jumps when the pointer hovers between them, just as you described.

This happens on Windows10, any blender version in recent memory, Wacom driver 6.4.6-1, Wacom Intuos Pro M from two years ago (supposedly the most recent hardware refresh), on a WQHD monitor (21:9, 3440*1440) and I don’t see the issue anymore after changing my main monitor to a 16:9.

1 Like

interesting, I am also on a WQHD as one of my two screens, both at the office and my house, perhaps that is the underlying culprit! adjusting the mapping under the Functions menu did not change anything, but when I switched the Screen Area to “Monitor 1” under the pen mapping settings it finally alleviated my issue!

@Hadriscus thank you so much for your help, this is a real sanity saver!!!

Great !

For the record, what was it set to before?

There is something fishy here. I don’t know any channels to report a bug to Wacom, and their driver has gone unchanged for years (at least the user-facing part), so not sure who to report this to, and even less sure it would be worked on.

apologies i’m having a hard time explaining this and having it make sense haha

previously the pen mapping was set to “Full,” mapping the tablet to the entirety of both monitors. i would use the Display toggle key to cycle through the mapping options (full, monitor 1, monitor 2). i used this setup so i could easily drag things like file explorer or a new image between monitors by switching to the “Full mode.” i would switch to monitor 1 to work solely on the big screen. Blender and Cinema 4D are the only two pieces of software that seem to have problems with this.

with this new setup, “Full mode” is removed. when i press the Display toggle key, it selects monitor 1 twice, and then the third press cycles to monitor 2. almost like it’s replaced the “full mode” with another instance of monitor 1. i can live without the full screen mapping, i’ll just grab the mouse if i need to drag across from one screen to another.

hopefully that made sense. i’ll send a ticket to Wacom, but i suspect they will pass the blame. if i get any response i’ll follow up on here

Yes, I get this too. This is what I was trying to describe earlier : if you use either “monitor1” or “monitor2” mapping and uncheck one monitor, it will remove the necessity for the additional keypress, while still cycling between both monitors. (I personally like to cycle between main monitor and both monitors, so I left the mapping on “full” and unchecked the monitor1 from the list.)

ah, I see now. i use the 16:9 for illustration as the form factor is a bit less stretched when mapped to the tablet compared to the 21:9, so I will live with the 3 presses to swap back and forth. I’ll mark your response as the solution though, as I am probably the weird one here haha. thanks for your help, and as i said i’ll check back in if i get any sort of useful response from Wacom

Alright ! !

I encountered the same issue I described earlier, today when resuming the workstation from sleep : mismatched ratio between tablet and monitor1. It doesn’t seem to be exclusive to the exotic WQHD definition.

Wacom’s initial response was to use the “Wacom Tablet File Preference Utility” to delete all user preferences. unsurprisingly, this did not resolve the issue. stay tuned for more…