Walther P99

I did this medium/high poly P99, using a reference image from wikipedia, and I’m pretty happy with it. But I don’t know how to make it look real. It’s my first decent machine model, next I’m going to try a car, I always give up. But I got through this one. Included is an ortho wire, so you can crit.

I want to make it look real, and I know materials are part of it, but I just need some comments.

Attachments

This looks pretty realistic as far as the modeling is concerned.

The material on the breech (the top black part) could be a ramp shader.

Ramp shader’s are great for this sort of thing. I would do a dark gray on both ends of the band and then in the dead center a slight streak of cyan blue.

you might want to add a UV map and a texture. This way you can make a specular map, and you can also make fine scratches on the high points. You could also add scratches to the bullet ejector, to make it look like it has been used. A few rust bits, or dirt bits would make it looks nice too.

Nice work all in all :slight_smile:

the bottom part is fine if a hardened plastic look is what you want.

Looks like there are so much goddamn vertices.U should decrease it.And I guess the reflections on the upper part of the weapon tell me that u should recalculate the normals

Moremun, it’s a goddam high poly goddam model, so there are supposed to be so much goddam vertices.

I supoz u cant uz grmr or punctuation?

Mmph!: Thanks for your comments. I don’t quite get what you were saying about the ramp shader with the cyan blue, but I’ll mess around with it. I probably will UV it, also. I’ve never done any “dirty metal” type UVs, but I’ll try it.

What I mean was not the number of the vertices ,just I meant to say a portion of them are unnecessary.

P.S. :English is not my mother-language,so question something else…

I guess you’re right. I tried to optimize it, but I end up with tris.

Two more renders.

http://www.sherylsouthwick.com/render2.jpg
http://www.sherylsouthwick.com/nicerender.jpg
I like certain aspects of both.