Warrior on Horseback

Heyall!
Here’s my latest:

(most recent update)

Enjoy!

Guss

nice but the default blend sky kind of lets it down, and the grass seems a little thick. but the characters look great

I really like the modeling of the warrior and horse. The materials are o.k. However, there scenery doesn’t work for me at all. The main problem is the lighting which is, I don’t know, flat? I find the sky and water are both way too monotonous, and the grass looks blocky and hard.

A little work on Texturing/Compositing and this scene would really pop! The modeling an pose are 5 stars, and when I saw the thumbnail I thought I was going to be blown away, but in the larger version it does not have the finished feeling I was looking for.

Overall: Sky needs work
Man: The green part of outfit looks a bit plain compared to other parts - perhaps some sort of cloth weave texture?
Man’s skin: More texture needed - perhaps some hair/whiskers?
Sword & Shield: Needs some “I’ve been used” marks
Compositing: Perhaps a slight vignette to draw your eye towards the two characters.

I feel that you are 95% to a 5 *, just needs a little push.

Wow, thanx for the crits everybody!
I’ll post when its ready! :wink: (rendering right now BTW)

Update:

I love how finished projects draws more critiques than focused critique (even when not asked for). Good work by the way.

Thanx!

Here’s what my .blend file looks like right now…

Guss:)

I agree with the crits regarding texture and scenery. I do want to say that the pose looks great! The horse, the warrior, the way his cape blows out behind him, I find the sense of motion to be very believable.

Nice modeling and all…but I would suggest you use an image background for your water and sky…ESPECIALLY sky. Clouds look flat - where it must actually become smaller towards the horizon or at least give you that sense of volume . Same with your water…what is it anyway - sea or a big lake? If its not a sea…then the water will not be blue, unless it reflects the sun and you have no reflection on it what so ever.

Grass and armor look a lot better on the last update.

Keep it up

Thanks people.

Hah! it seems that a background can make or break an artwork… :wink: I’ll work on it and post update later.

Guss