Watch out Unity; the NeoAxis engine throws down the gauntlet with a new free edition

http://www.neoaxis.com/news/neoaxis_3d_engine_2_0_announcement

Not only are they putting out a free edition that sounds more fully-featured than the free version of Unity, but they will also be redoing their license tiers to include two editions with an ever increasing number of features and an even higher tier that gives full source-code access.

Even as it stands now, their base edition for commercial development is a whole lot cheaper than Unity if you’re just getting an individual license.

The only potential drawback for the Blender community however is that there may not be much in the way of a Blender exporter, reading further also seems to indicate that you may have to familiarize yourself with C-style programming using separate game-centric IDE’s such as mono-develop, but this announcement in general indicates to me that Unity may have some serious competition in the near future.

You get so much more with Unity that its hard to compare. The commercial pricing is well worth it if you are developing seriously for profit.

That said, the I think as far as free non unity engines go, paying attention to Project Anarchy and Torque 3d are the way to go. I’ll stick with the Unity/UDK setup for now.

Sure if you decide to spend the 1.5k on a professional license, but reading on that site does give an indication that NeoAxis free will have 2D filters, a full shadow system, and a nice GUI system (something that can’t exactly be said for Unity free), plus I’ve heard rumors that Unity free even has bugs that aren’t present in the professional edition.

Regardless, I still like how Blender’s own GE allows you to model and write your scripts without leaving the application, it does in part remind me of GameMaker where you can create the assets and write the code in the same app. (which I used to write more than 20 games). Now I know that the word ‘BGE’ (to me at least) seems to be treated by some people as if it was profanity or even an insult (the industry standard doesn’t include built in GE’s so Blender should conform in this manner rather than try to stand out), but I still prefer to use because I would prefer to not mess with a two app. content pipeline as well as not mess with learning how to use compilers (not to mention Python’s easy to use syntax like not having the requirement to put prefix words like ‘Public’ and ‘Float’ before variable names). But if for any reason I had to choose another engine, NeoAxis just provided what appears to be a new option and a nice one at that too.

Not sure, but so far from what I have seen Unity Free is still highly functional for game creation. They had a conference recently where there was a Unity keynote which revealed more features in the free version as well. My point however is that its an incredibly polished application which wont cost a dime to start making and selling games, and for serious development $1,500 isnt a huge investment.

I did a quick test on a few planes with a diffuse, normal and spec map applied just to see the lighting and general quality I could get out of the free version. Its not bad by any means. More importantly it has easy publishing tools for various platforms, this is something I notice thats lacking in a lot of the other “free” game dev engines.

Regardless, I still like how Blender’s own GE allows you to model and write your scripts without leaving the application, it does in part remind me of GameMaker where you can create the assets and write the code in the same app. (which I used to write more than 20 games). Now I know that the word ‘BGE’ (to me at least) seems to be treated by some people as if it was profanity or even an insult (the industry standard doesn’t include built in GE’s so Blender should conform in this manner rather than try to stand out), but I still prefer to use because I would prefer to not mess with a two app. content pipeline as well as not mess with learning how to use compilers (not to mention Python’s easy to use syntax like not having the requirement to put prefix words like ‘Public’ and ‘Float’ before variable names). But if for any reason I had to choose another engine, NeoAxis just provided what appears to be a new option and a nice one at that too.

I agree that the BGE is a wonderful concept and having them packaged together is absolutely amazing but right now its pretty much unrealized and either it becomes something else entirely or it gets much needed development to catch up with the rest of the tools out there. After so long I just dont have faith that the BGE will grow up to be on even ground with the other engines or whether there are even the resources to make that happen. If there is a change and the steam workshop changes that, great, but if not it should probably focus on more interactive elements and asset creation. It looks like neoaxis has some catching up to do to get even where torque and project anarchy are.

Know what really would have given Unity a run for it’s money? Linux support :stuck_out_tongue:

Is this Windows only? I only saw screenshots for Windows. If so then its a no go for me. I liek Unity because I can run it on OSX (it was developed on OSX) and it works seamlessly there. if you are developing for IOS you need to have a Mac anyway, and Unity just made iPhone support free in that last version. You can’t really beat that.

To add to this if I were to use windows and needed a free engine I would probably just use the UDK, since it’s a well proven/supported engine. I just wish they would release the stupid thing on OSX.

you mean like
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1937035674/leadwerks-build-linux-games-on-linux

:O…

They got the funding for BLENDER SUPPORT too. So not only do we get it on linux, but it’s compatible with blender :slight_smile:
Their engine also has access to STEAM for free asset download or purchase.

http://www.leadwerks.com

Yes, very much like that. Thanks for the link :smiley:

how many of those4 kickstarter projects have been finished???..
waiting with hope for…

and this looks good too…more open

but these projects have reached their goal…a while back even… if you look at the camelot unchained posts, you will see that they went and saw the new riddick, or they eat a lot of cheeseburgers… :slight_smile: nice, but…how about a real update…

so has anyone tryed the neoaxis engine…tryed some coding(or scripting) to get a sense of ease of use vs power?..I am curious to know myself…
the good thing about this engine does seem to be the features, but I doubt it has the longevity of the unity engine…until something better comes along…and something will…engines get old…need to be completely re-written about every 3-5 years…otherwise they stagnate and die…not to mention they stop taking advantage of new card and lib features…

If you can spare a few minutes, do egg beaters (1c I think)with some veggies, fat free cheese, on a piece of high fiber toast or on a whole grain tortilla. Add some turkey bacon if you want. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other healthcare professional. Which are the diet pills that actually work? This question could be a tricky one as there are lots available and each you’ve its own pluses and minuses. Also there are numerous manufacturers that claim their products as being the best diet pills this work. Therefore, in this article we’ll find out which is the diet pills that actually work, by knowing the important ingredient in them. HCG pills are the most recent way of eliminating excess body fats. Many people are looking for information nowadays on where they can simply buy HCG pills. This product is offered on the internet with plenty of suppliers that can provide big discounts to dieters who are serious about quick and effective weight reduction… This scenario is quite possible. Because I have started to run on a regular basis both my kids and my wife have started walk/jogging. What a thrill for me. Bottom LineThe Special K diet includes eating healthy foods, staying active and exercising and purchasing products made by Special K. Eating well and exercising are central to weight loss and maintaining a goal weight. However, because of biological make-up,Lida Daidaihua, men have different nutritional needs than women, and for optimal results, men should look for a diet plan crafted to their specific needs. That means the 300 calorie hamburger(not sure of the exact calories) times 2 could EASILY fit into my daily calories. Then after I’d eat those burgers my sugar would drop and I’d feel awful the rest of the day. With WW’s if I really want a burger, I have ONE. Safety And GuidelinesWhen it comes to postpartum exercise,Lida Daidaihua, the most important thing to do is listen to your body. Exercising too soon or too hard can cause injury, which will only delay your weight loss efforts further. If you notice your postpartum lochia becoming heavier or turning redder, scale back the intensity and duration of your workouts, since this may be a sign you’re pushing your body too hard. Why not? That will not only make you want those foods MORE, but it’s unrealistic. You’re not going to go the rest of your life without eating a hamburger. (Even I like one occasionally.). There is another reason that needs attention. Apart from stress control,Lida Daidaihua, overcoming sleep problems you should keep chart for checking calorie consumption. The experts often observe that people suffer lot as they suppress their appetite which in the long run hampers their life style and healthy living.