"Watch T.V."

(I dont like naming my works, so I just named it after a song)

Link to the original drawing
This image is loosely inspired by Jhonen Vasquez works and style.
There are some allusions (some very clear and some subtle) to some of his ideas which I find rather iconic:
If you are familiar with them: cans are actually POOP cans (Link to the texture I made, the ingredients are from some stuff I have on my desk and the rest is nonsense :). Feel free to use it if you want, but refer to me as the author please), the TV antennas for JTHM and the man has a certain resemblance to Zim’s neighbour.

Modeling, texturing and rendering in Blender
Link to WIP thread on Blender Newbies forums

I hope the idea behind the image is clear.
I also hope you enjoy it :slight_smile:

I’d like to render it at a much larger resolution, I’ll see how that goes.

Comments are welcomed

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/25681/Finished%20Scene%2002.PNG

EDIT: Ignore that image, I’m just leaving it in case you wish to compare.
I rendered it at 1600x800 and with 12 samples.
I also made some changes on the man’s skin, looks better now.

Here’s a thumbnail version, click on it to get to the real image.
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/25681/Watch%20TV%20Thumbnail.PNG

Nice dark concept, I like it a lot.

In terms of critiques, I’d say that you may need to tweak the mans form a smidge, and perhaps decrease the specularity a little.

Apart from that, great!

Thanks!
Which part do you mean?
It may be the pose or the angle… hopefully.

And I intended him to be sweaty :slight_smile:
That’s all the specularity for.

That’s a bit strange

Well the deformation of the shoulders, and perhaps some rolls of fat look slightly unnatural…but like you said, it could just be the angle :smiley:

As for the specularity, in my experience that is very hard to do with humans. If you don’t get it exactly right, it can look a little like plastic.

Lovely idea…the skin spec. could be lower…or maybe some chest hair ?..

there is a Ron Cobb illustration: humans with leech-like head attached to tv
but I cant find it on the net

Very nice work. You did a great job on the lighting. I like the concept too.

It would make more sense to have the end table on the other side of the couch closer to the man, but compositionally, it works better where it is to help balance out the man and the TV being on the right side of the frame.

I agree about the specularity on the man. It makes him look like plastic, but M@dcow is right, it’s very tricky to get people to look sweaty.

M@adcow, followed your recommendations and changed his shoulder and some of the skins shaders as well:

Thanks for the comments :slight_smile:

Endi: I got interested on the illustration you mention but couldnt find it either, if you do let me know :slight_smile:

OK, so I rendered a 1600x800 version now which I’m calling finished. AO has 12 samples now, and you can see much more details.

Here’s a thumbnail version, click on it to get to the real image.
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/25681/Watch%20TV%20Thumbnail.PNG

Nice work! How did he drink the sodas/beers, though? :slight_smile:

Jhonen Vasquez is a creator of invader zim right? This image immediately reminded me of Zim. (Like theneighbors with the giant power cords stuck in their house, lol)

Awesome job :slight_smile:

Skwerm: Clearly while not attatched to the television :slight_smile:
I’m sure that that mask must have something to attach the can to :wink:

Billt Joe: Yes, he is. I’m glad it did ring a bell to someone :stuck_out_tongue:
Thanks for the comment.