Inspired by this thread, I started fiddling with the fluid simulator.
I wanted to pour wine from a bottle into a glass.
At first I encountered problems because the fluid would not get past the bottleneck (how symbolic :)), but then I spoke to N_T on IRC and he discovered it was a bug. A few days later that was resolved, and I could start baking properly.
Because (even at high resolutions) the fluids can’t really stay within thin-walled obstacles, I decided to work with thicker dummies for the simulation and the render with the actual objects >> which turned out to work fine. One problem with that was that when I decided it would be fun to let the fluid flow until the glass ran over, I stumbled upon this problem: that would not give the proper results (when the water runs over the edges). When I tried to bake at the maximum resolution of 200, it still leaked through the glass and the bottle. I’ll have to wait until N_T enables for even higher resolutions I guess!!!
Anyway, here’s the resulting animations. I can’t decide whether I like the Blender Internal render or the YafRay one. You can’t really compare because the BI render looked horrible when the wine (which is water now) had any color but white. Caustics on the yafray one are a bit too strong.
And the stats:
Simulation bake: 3 hours at fluid resolution 150, for 100 frames (4 secs, 0.40m size in the fluid tab)
Blender Internal rendertime: 4 1/2 hours at 50% PAL resolution (75 frames)
YafRay rendertime: 12 1/2 hours at 50% PAL resolution (100 frames)
Post-pro (motion blur) & compressed (Xvid) in VirtualDub 1.6.10
If anyone is interested in the .blend, tell me, I’ll post a link to it. JUST ASK!