Water Lily

I haven’t had much time to do some blending lately, but I managed to participate in the current weekend challenge. This was my entry.
I might work on it a bit more in the future (maybe even try a different render engine), but until then i call it finished.

Hope you like it.

HD Version

Oh and be sure to check out the challenge thread - there are some amazing entries this week.

Very good start, especially on the modeling. My only qualms would be that the petals could use some Subsurface Scattering, and you could have some more directional lighting, but other than that, beautiful! :slight_smile:

I agree with pop850, it looks really good. Just the water is too perfect, too cg. Try setting the ray transparency and ray mirror fresnel values to something higher (e.g. 2 and 2)

I had something intelligent to say (:)), but now i can only point out that the leaves look a bit too stiff. Maybe it’s because of the lack of SSS? i don’t know.

But that’s only a nitpick. It is a fantastic image. I haven’t voted on the weekend challenge because there are too many good entries, but yours was definitely up there. :yes:

Thanks for the kind words.
SSS is still a kind of mystery to me - I had it turned on for a test but I couldn’t figure out how to change the settings to get a good result. I guess I will have to look for a good tutorial on SSS.

Try this: http://bensimonds.com/2010/05/31/three-layer-sss-in-blender-demystified/
Great Resource!

Scroll down to important SSS settings.

Keeping the time frame in mind it’s a wonderful work. Still some improvements can be made i guess.