I figured it was about time to post this and get some outside critiques. This is my “first” real 3D model. I’ve made a tangram set, which was trivial to do. And I also tried another humanoid before this one and that is when I learned that I would have to study up on this “topology” stuff if I was going to get the results I wanted.
This is basically a “Blenderella” follow along project. The main deviations are that I used hand-drawn front/back/side reference images and I tried to get “fancy” with the topology on some of the muscle groups.
I have my own list of things that I think are wrong but I have a long way to go with this project so I’m going to move along for now but I’m sure I’ll revisit the mesh sooner or later (probably sooner). The final plans for this model are to rig and texture it. I’m also planning to make a low-poly version to see if I can get it to run on my live wallpaper on my Android phone.
For those interested, here is some of the original art that I based this on. The blue version is an image that I created specifically for my phone. It is supposed to be dark and low contrast when other people use my phone they don’t even notice the weird creatures swimming around in the background but if you know they are there, then they are easy to see. The white version is the base line-art.
My plan is to eventually replace this static wallpaper with an animated live wallpaper of the waterdragons swimming around.