Weight Layers addon (Free)

Thanks! It means a lot to hear that my add-ons are useful to people :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just want to compliment the developer! Extremely useful and I hope it gets further developed. Kudos!

2 Likes

Thanks! :smiley:

1 Like

This looks like a very useful tool. Someone has to do a good tutorial as to its practical use however.

If somone knows such a tutorial let share it here please.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s part of the plan at some point, but I’m quite busy getting my other addon Alpha Trees ready for its next update at the moment.

After that, though, I think I’ll definitely be writing some documentation, and also maybe do a video tutorial on how to use it.

3 Likes

Make a video please. I did not use it yet but as it seems the addon deserves a good tutiorial video. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Ok I’ll definitely make a tutorial video, but it’ll probably still be a couple of weeks before I can work on it.

4 Likes

it seems the addon si broken in bledner 3.2, is this addon still being maintained?

1 Like

Hi Jason, yeah, I actually have an updated version that works in 3.2 and also has a bunch of new layers.
Unfortunately I didn’t get round to releasing it, and I’m currently away from my computer for a while :frowning:
I’ll try my best to release it soon, but it all depends whether I can upload the files remotely (I really should have thought of this before I went away :sweat_smile:)

Sorry for the wait :frowning:

4 Likes

Ok, I’m finally back, and I can now release:

weight layers 2.1

It includes 5 new layers:

• Camera cull
  • Is inside mesh
  • Blur
  • Normalize
  • Map range

It also has a bunch of bug fixes, including the one that prevented it from working in Blender 3.2 :sweat_smile:

https://giant.gfycat.com/DirtySilentGeese.webm

And so now the layer list looks like this:

Hope you like it!

7 Likes

very nice!

1 Like

just one question? dose the new version use named atributes insted of the old pass thru way?

also i get an error when using it:

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Usersl\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.2\scripts\addons\weight_layers_addon\WL_ui.py”, line 100, in draw
mod_group = WL_functions.get_wl_mod_group(context)
File “C:\Usersl\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.2\scripts\addons\weight_layers_addon\WL_functions.py”, line 204, in get_wl_mod_group
group.wl.type = GROUP_TYPES[“stack_list”]
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘wl’

Ah, thanks for pointing that out, somehow I managed to re-upload the old version rather than the new one, if you download it again now, it should be working :sweat_smile:

I’m not quite sure what you mean? As in the new named attribute nodes in 3.2?

1 Like

yes so it looks more clean on the modefier

Ah, yeah, that’s fairly high on my to-do list at the moment, so it should happen fairly soon. Changing to using named attribute nodes should also simplify the code significantly, which should reduce the likelihood of bugs appearing.

2 Likes

Hi I’m also experiencing the bug that doesn’t allow you to add layers after downloading the 2.1 update

Huh, that’s weird, what error does it produce?

ok so update it seems the issue has been resolved for some odd reason after I redownloaded and reinstalled the addon in both 3.2 &3.3

1 Like

3.6 broke this addon, idk if its still being maintained tho…