Weight paint not painting!!

Hello, I am just getting started with this great software but I have run into a frustrating problem. Whenever I try to edit the weights of my rigged mesh (the bones are working properly and appropriate colors show up in weight paint mode), my paintbrush simply won’t paint over or subtract the weights. I have searched for solutions on google but none of them seem to work (I added and applied the armature modifier with enveloping disabled, I messed around with the brush settings). I am using 2.62. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Start new file with default cube. Set to Weight Paint mode. Cube will turn to deep blue. With default brush that comes up, try to paint the blue cube. Is it working?

The cube turns blue, but the brush still won’t paint over it, even if I parent armature to it.
I’m just gonna reinstall Blender for the heck of it. Doesn’t seem like anything else to do about this.

Umm… do you have the vertice group you want selected when you go into weight paint mode? because without a target, blender doesnt know where to put the data your trying to paint and kind of ignores you

1 Like

The cube turns blue, but the brush still won’t paint over it,

Are you using mouse? If so, then look at the brush setting. Set to “Draw” brush at 1.00 Weight. Brush Radius set around 35 will do, and Strength of 0.500 to start. Also keep in mind that you don’t paint face. Paint only works on vertex. So, you need to brush over where vertexes are.

4 Likes

Thanks for all your responses, but I reinstalled Belender and the tool works fine now. Im pretty sure I was painting on the verticies, but whatever.

Thanks, man…worked for me!

I was doing fine happily selecting vertices and go into weight paint but all of a sudden, it does not work anymore, I found the vertices was hidden when I go back into edit mode, but when I unhide the vertices, select it and go to weight painting, it appears to be hidden, other parts have white color vertice. Must be something I accidentally clicked but what could it be?

Maybe one of these two.

these

1 Like

Already tried those, I can only paint without enabling both but ended up painting the other parts. So I have to cut into segments and then join them back later.

i found that turning off front faces only or clicking accumulate in the brush setting fixed my issue

1 Like