Weight paint transition not working properly

Im attempting to learn blender and have finally gotten to the weight painting potion of my self teaching and have run into a problem I can’t figure out how to fix or find an answer to online. I apologize ahead of time for my lack of know-how, I don’t know any of the lingo or anything that could help me describe my issue better.

Currently, I am having a problem where even little amounts of weight added to the mesh act as if I added 100% (red) weight even if it is the lightest blue. Gradients that I add to the mesh don’t work as intended and deform the mesh once I move the model in pose mode.

The mesh is deforming extremely, with the light blue weights acting as if they are fully weighted. When looking up online, I found another forum ask that had a similar problem but their solution is to add multiple vertex weights to one mesh. When I do this, the mesh shrinks and doesn’t move properly with the motion I am making in pose mode.

How do I make this rope move properly with the chalice? Thank you for any help or suggestions you may have!

Since the forum only allows one image in post for new users, I’ve put all of the images into one.

7efcfdc0b7a8a6e6df9f63cd547f455d812e2a7c

Leftmost Image: Basic rest pose

Top right image: Deformed mesh after pose

Middle right image: Weight paint on rope

Bottom right image: Example of shrinking that occurs if multiple vertex groups are given weight on same mesh.

Welcome to BA :slight_smile:
Turn Auto Normalize off:
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/sculpt_paint/weight_paint/tool_settings/options.html

I just looked and auto-normalize is already off

Thank you for the welcome! :smiley:

1 Like

Bone weights are relative. If a vertex is weighted to only one bone, it doesn’t matter if the weight is 1.0 or 0.1 or anything else-- it still has all of the weight. Assign the vertex to another bone as well to get what you want.

1 Like

If I assign the weight to multiple vertexs, then the mesh shrinks when moved in pose mode.

An example of the shrinking^