weight painting and boning

(haunt_house) #1

Has somebody here done a believable elbow or knee? I am not too experianced in weight painting and would appreciate some tips. Also, my win- machine often crashes on that. Is this common?

thanks

HH

(slikdigit) #2

…depends on what you call believable.
weight painting has been crash-happy on any platform I’ve tried it on (win, linux, 3 different gfx cards (3dlabs,nvidia,matrox), dynamic,static, publisher) If there is a workaround/fix I’d appreciate a tip.
One method is to use group selection instead of painting: just in editmode, select points you’d like to be less influenced by a bone, select that bone’s group, lower the slider value to less than one, then hit assign. much slower than weight painting but achieves similar results.

(haunt_house) #3

believable is, when it looks like there are bones and major muscles, bending in the right way. no cartoon bending. I want to do realistic volume. And i think this is accessible with blender. Maybe a little python stuff would be required, maybe not.

HH

(overextrude) #4

I have a sample elbow .blend file, but it may need a little more tweaking. I’d be happy to e-mail it to you if you’re interested.

(nemesis) #5

overextruded: I would really like to have your example file. Please email it at [email protected]