Weight Painting and Model Tears Through Clothes

Hey, I’m new here and this is my first thread. I didn’t see an introduction thread anywhere so I’ll introduce myself here. My name is Warren and I got an internship with a video game company so I could learn how to animate in 3D. I don’t really know how to use Blender but I’ve been animating in Flash and Adobe Animate for a really long time.

I’m trying to weight paint this model and I keep getting an issue where it kind of “tears through it’s clothing”. Here’s some pictures to explain my point:

The thing is with this model is that it has a bunch of clothes to go along with it. A friend at the place where I work was helping me parent the clothes and we were trying to copy the weight painting from the body that I think I did more or less correct (probably not) to the clothes. It didn’t really work and I don’t know how to go from here. I’m going to leave the link to the .blend project and model here. I use 2.8. Hopefully I gave you guys enough info to help me. Let me know if you have any questions or if I made anything unclear. Also, any guidance towards useful stuff about weight painting would be cool. Thank you in advance.

Links:

I didn’t look at the blend, but here’s my tips:

1. If you can, delete the mesh under the clothes, or make it transparent.

2. If you can’t do that, but you have body under your clothes and you’re rendering in Blender, see if a surface deform modifier will work instead of an armature for your model. If you get spiky bits of bad binds, use a powerful, vertex group limited corrective smooth to shove the spikes back where they belong.

3. If you can’t do that, and you want to paint manually, temporarily join your objects before weight painting so that you can paint them all together-- so that your gradients will affect both meshes at the same time, giving you even weights. You can always separate them again after you’re happy with your weights.

4. If you’re still having trouble, or your trying to integrate autoweights or something, try using a vertex weight proximity -> data transfer combo to copy weights from your body, but smoothly, only where the body is close to the clothes.

1 Like