Weight painting issues in 2.5

I’m having some troubles on my first attempt at weight painting in blender. I’m used to maya so maybe things just work differently? I’m having two issues. First, not all of the edges present in edit mode show up in weight paint mode? Pretty consistantly throughout my mesh, I’ll have areas where the weight paint mode looks like this:

http://www.fx.clemson.edu/~rcushma/blender/weight_mode.png

and the edit mode looks like this:

http://www.fx.clemson.edu/~rcushma/blender/edit_mode.png

I can’t figure out how to paint on these vertices that I can’t see? Is this a mesh issue that anyone has seen before(in 2.4x or 2.5)?

Second and maybe a related issue, using the add brush, with values all the way up, as many times as I run across vertices, they seem to retain the values of another bone unless I click the other bone and use subtract? I know you’re only supposed to use add so I’m a bit puzzled:) It is very possible that it could be a 2.5 quirk, but I’m assuming for know its a deficiency in my blender knowlege. Thanks!

I’ll attach my .blend so people can tell me what I’m doing wrong:)

blend file

I can’t figure out how to paint on these vertices that I can’t see? Is this a mesh issue that anyone has seen before(in 2.4x or 2.5)?

There has always been issues with some edges not showing up when you add the wire display on … It might help if you change the shading type to flat … though the edges still will not show up .

Second and maybe a related issue, using the add brush, with values all the way up, as many times as I run across vertices, they seem to retain the values of another bone unless I click the other bone and use subtract? I know you’re only supposed to use add so I’m a bit puzzled

That is how weight painting currently works in Blender . You can blend weights by overlapping weights not only by color/weight value .

Thanks:) Thats a pretty significant difference from what I’m used to and it would have taken me a while to figure out that thats the way its supposed to be done.

If you’re interested, I wrote a script for normalizing weights and removing influences to get the maya-like behaviour from Blender’s weight painting tools a little easier. However I have not ported it to 2.5 yet, so you’ll need to be using 2.4 to get any use out of it.

The script can be found here.