Weight-painting not bonding bones to skin anymore

Hi,

I recently ‘rebuilt’ a section of a character i’m building vertex by vertex but now i’m finding that doing weigh-paint doesn’t bond the bone to that area of the skin.

Basically whatever faces i ‘replaced’ (i re-did about 10 faces around the heel of the foot of my character) doesn’t ‘stick’ to the bone even if i turn on the weight-paint on that area to full for that bone.

I am thinking this might be some kind of Vertex group? I gonna try and adjust it now but i can’t understand why i’m having to. I mean all i did was go into ‘edit’ mode for that object (the heel of my character) and added/removed a few faces/vertices, so surely the program would assume they were all connected?

Any ideas appreciated.

Regards,
Pablo.

It sounds like you have messed up your weight painting
(blender doesn’t know how you want the new vertices to move)

you might be able to fix this by setting the bone to use envelopes in conjunction with your weight painted vertex groups

but if you want to use vertex groups to animate the vertices - check that the vertex groups have exactly the same name as the bones - and also that you are weight painting the correct vertex group

your vertex may able be influenced by more than one bone - this may mean that it is won’t deform in the expected way

Hi waylow,

Thanks man. I have messed it up.

Basically as i re-created parts of my characters heel i thought i’d save time by just doing ‘copy-and-paste’ of another part of the character i.e. the heel of one foot to the other foot. Now i’ve just realised it’s all screwed-up. The vertices point to bones on the other side of the character, even though the weight painting appears to work.

I gonna try and re-map the copied vertices’s bone mapping to the right bones and hopefully that’s gonna sort it out.

That’s good of you to help me!! I’m lost here, please keep up the good work you’re doing - i want you to know how immensely grateful i am!! :)))

Regards,
Pabs.

Hi,

Further to my experiences above, i tried all that was suggested by Waylow. But seems like no matter what i try the vertices which i ‘borrowed’ from the other foot ‘remember’ somehow that they were once attached to another bone, so when i try moving the bone in Pose mode those particular vertices ‘stick’ and behave differently to the ones that were there already.

I tried every which way to reset the Vertex Group for the vertices i borrowed but nothing seemed to work. In fact everything down to the last information on the borrowed vertices was the same anyway; and there Bone was the same for all the vertices, so it didn’t explain why they were remembering their previous bone.

So in the end the only thing i found worked was remove those borrowed vertices and copy some vertices off the same foot as i was trying to build, thereby not confusing the program about the bone i wanted them bonded to.

This is weird. I can’t see how the program remembers what vertices where bonded to what bone, yet it definitely does seem to.

Thanks for the help. And btw., If anybody has any ideas i’d be glad to hear them!! :slight_smile:

Rergards,
Pablo.

Hi,

Further (sorry i seem to be writing to myself) to my woes with copying and pasting vertices from another limb of my character i now realise my stupidity. That’s right i’m stupid. Blender is absolutely right, the bone that i copied and pasted my vertices from had still paint that was assigned to the other bone. doh. Thing is when you weight-paint Blender only shows you what is the weight-paint influence for one bone at a time… so all the time the vertices from the ‘borrowed’ bone had still got full influence of that bone, but i couldn’t see it.

So there you go. It had nothing to do with Vertex Groups or obscure Armature assignments or anything like that.

Thanks guys!! :smiley:
Pablo.

Shift + leftClick on each bone in weightpaint mode to see all the weights for that bone.

if your model is symmetrical and you have messed one side up
you can mirror the weight painting with one of the supplied scripts in the scripts menu
(make sure you save your work incase you mirror the wrong side)

but you might find it easier to assign the weights with “bone heat”
or only start painting weights when you’re 100% happy with the model
*NB no one is ever 100% happy :wink:

if your model is symmetrical and you have messed one side up
you can mirror the weight painting with one of the supplied scripts in the scripts menu
(make sure you save your work incase you mirror the wrong side)

but you might find it easier to assign the weights with “bone heat”
or only start painting weights when you’re 100% happy with the model
*NB no one is ever 100% happy :wink:

You can check influences & edit them for each bone by using the Vertex Group tools in Edit mode (Select, Deselect, Remove, etc.). There’s also a drop-down list in the Edit Mode Properties panel that will tell you each bone that influences a selected vertex. You really can’t rely 100% on the Weight Painting colors to judge influences, as sometimes they can be too low a value to be easily visible as a color, but they’ll still have an effect on your mesh.