Weird black smudges in Final Cycles Render

Heyo everyone, I’ve just looked at my nightly render session and noticed some weird black smudges in the final render.
I’m animating a character for the first time and thus also touched IK constraints for the first time to attach my character’s hands to the ground, and used the “child of” constraint on those to keep the empties tagged onto the character, and only in the final render appear their hands to vibrate a little and sometimes cause these weird smudges. I tried disabling both the child of and IK constraints and they still appear.

Nothing appears in the render preview and the hands also dont move an inch. Anyone got an idea what the reason could be?

Maybe you have created a cyclic dependency, ie if the empty is constrained to the character and the hands to the empty there would probably be a dependency that can not solve properly.
This can cause problems to show up in render that do not in view-port.

To check if it is the problem run Blender from a terminal, in the terminal it will warn with an error message of cyclic dependencies.

1 Like

Yea it detected 2 dependency cycles on that rig. Thing is, i changed it up once i grasped how IKs actually work and dont use that one anyone. No dependency cycles turn up on my updated rig, yet the smudges stay. They only go away if i either: remove all bone constraints, like IK and copy location; apply the armature modifier (aka remove the armature completely); turn off motion blur.

What i gather from that is, that i somehow fucked up the armature somewhere along the process lmao.

Yes, to me those smudges look like motion blur between frames with “flickering” bone positions which is why I thought of cyclic dependencies. I think there are circumstances where Blender will not detect them even if they are there. Maybe it has to do with the empties.

The empties are gone as well tho, so i really dont know what could be cycle on each other at that point :eye::eye:. i should have a rig from before i did the stuff with the empties, maybe that one wont be weird, otherwise i guess i’ll have to redo the rig

1 Like

I have been there too :rofl: the good part is that the more you redo it the more you understand it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yea i guess everyone is there at some point :v was my first rig, so i expected it to break somewhere along the way haha.

Thank you for your help tho, i appreciate it!!

1 Like