Weird bubble glass reflection

Hey guys, so I’m doing a product model, it’s a smartphone with a glass back.

It looks shiny, just like a real glass material would do, but if I want to do a close-up, this kind of bubble appears.

I’ve been tweaking the parameters of the Glass BSDF, being these the IOR and Roughness, but the only way to get a real glass without this weird sphere is to tweak way down the IOR, any suggestions? Thanks.

Maybe Z-fighting?? Do you have overlapping geometry ?

How can I know this?

What exactly do you mean… ?? Geometry better does not overlapp… or more precisely: ther should be no two planes in the same place. As in real life the also do not be like so but there is always some microscopic gap between two surfaces.

Sorry for not making myself clear, the thing is that if I want to do close-ups from the back part of the device which has a glass lid, depending on the camera movements, there’s this issue in which the reflection causes part visible to the camera and a part that’s hidden as you’re moving. Just like in the first 2 top pictures, you see its good reflection and if you angle the camera closer, there’s this circle greyed out reflection as well.

Look here, at this angle you can’t see the inner part:

But if you move slightly, you can, there’s some kind of clipping?

Yes… and

might depend on the view…

Okay thanks for the info! I will try tweaking a few things.

does the glass have any thickness? This happens (at least to me) when you use a glass material with no thickness

I think this is a problem with index of refraction. Try to tweek the IOR section in the glass bsdf. You should get a good result. If not check UVs or geometry. This happens to me sometimes when im working with glass.

Just have a look if some flat cylinder part of the mesh touches or do not touch some other surface:

If the touching areas are too tight… then the computations goes wild… (like in Z-fighting…)

1 Like

I figured out days ago what the issue was… Somehow my normals were flipped and mixed out between the frame being one face and the main backplate being the opposite causing this distortion.

1 Like