Weird Face Shading Issue

Hey,

I’m having a weird problem where things don’t appear to be shading correctly. While this image may look normal at first glance, this is at subdivision 3 on flat shading. It look a lot more…normal than that. You can really see what I’m talking about under the iris where 3 squares are randomly darker than the ones around it. It’s like the lighting engine is doing something funky. I will attach my blend file. I have already checked and this issue is present on blender 2.79 as well and exists on any matcap/render engine I choose. I don’t really care about losing progress (obviously), but I’d like to know what I’m doing wrong.

Thanks,

PS: If anyone who opens the file happens to have any critique on the eye itself I’d appreciate that as well. Been studying and practicing that shape for a while.

Eyes.blend (697.5 KB)

Your file seems to have no objects in it edit: my fault for opening in 2.79

Is there even a reason you’re using flat shading? Have you tried normal shading? Are you using Cycles or Blender Render?

Edit 2: Anyways, rotating the object in edit mode significantly changed the shading. I really really wouldn’t worry about it if I were you.
Bottom: prior to rotation. Top 2 images: after rotation in edit mode.

Thanks for the reply.

The shading after your rotation is still abnormal I think. The lighting should not vary that much from face to face.

I’m using Eevee but have switched to cycles and it does the same thing.

When I select smooth shading, the image obviously gets smoother but there are still noticeable ‘wrinkles’. See image below. If you compare it to how a smooth eye mesh should look at subdiv 3 there’s a night and day difference. It’s weird because the eye’s topology is actually quite clean and I can’t see any errors beyond me not finishing the outer eyelid joining. There should not be any wrinkles or bumps at this subdivision level for this topology at all.

edit: Interesting results if I bump it up to subdivision 6. Here you can clearly see something is way off. And this image is actually on smooth shading as well…

Bump

The problem went away when I reinstalled the latest version of blender 2.8 and worked for a few days. Then it started happening again.