Weird problem I encountered with lattice modifier...

tried to report this as a bug, but no luck yet…

/uploads/default/original/4X/7/0/3/703d5378e4206b9c430e0e5f17f912ceb016981a.jpgd=1412726782&thumb=1
I did not edit the lattice to get it to the initial shape. I scaled it in object mode, which is what said to be the proper way of using lattice. and then, I gave my mesh its lattice modifier, and choose the lattice I just scaled. but look at this ****…

/uploads/default/original/4X/8/d/4/8d4b0b4ea995b9d1b3ea3001fd4dabe4c31d0e93.jpgd=1412726804&thumb=1

I have no clue wtf happened.

My scene scale is 0.01 and it’s metric. I work this way for UE4, to match up UE4’s unit. I’ve looked through a lot of trouble shooting around this, but I have found nothing like this.

The tech support told me I should’ve not edited the lattice or applied transform on my lattice… Well I already knew I shouldn’t edit my lattice to get it to shape before I use modifier… But I’m not sure if apply transform did it wrong, so I tried again without applying.

Of course it didn’t work… cuz I have an impression of myself trying both ways, apply or not, it just won’t work the way I expected. I’ve done this once before and it worked fine without me struggling too much, but this time, I have no clue what is there else for me to try. I tried everything…

Any clue of what is going wrong here?

Even I try with a starter file, it wouldn’t do what a lattice modifier suppose to do, it always give me something exceeding the lattice boundary.

This is killing me and no one has taken it seriously yet.

Can someone help me get this right???

Attachments

Unfortunately you cropped your screenshots, which cuts away parts of the interface that might have helped understand what happened. Seeing the file might also help…

Still, I don’t understand what happens between your first and your second screenshot.
This is from your first image, where everything seems to be in order:

The sphere is selected and as you can see it already has the Lattice modifier with the Lattice object selected. From your description (choosing lattice object = immediately distorted mesh) we should actually see the state from your second image here, no?

So, what else did you do to get the result from image #2?
Other that that I’m puzzled how any lattice should be able to transform the geometry from image #1 (uv sphere?) into that from image #2 (where have e. g. the triangles on the sphere’s poles gone?).

Please provide us with uncropped screenshots or an example file (upload e. g. here) to investigate further.

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/31965

Here is my troubled file. U’ll see what I’m talking about.

I did not edit the lattice in edit mode and I have not applied any transform on the lattice object.

Not sure what went wrong with your lattice… Creating a new one works for me:
a) Select your Lattice and hit X to delete.
b) Hit Shift-A > Lattice to make a new one. The new one comes in tiny, so hit “S 200” to scale by a factor of 200.
c) Select the new lattice as object in the sphere’s Lattice modifier.

…Because the lattice in the file did have its scale applied at least once (i’s scale is around 3.5 as opposed to 200+). The sphere itself also had been scaled up (because the new sphere with those scene settings will be 2cm in dimensions, not 2m).

…Stan Pancakes to the rescue!
I shouldn’t answer forum posts at half past three in the morning (local time) any more…:wink:
Never had thought of that! Good catch.

No guys… I know what happened seeing IkariShinji’s post.

My scene scale is 0.01, and my lattice on my PC showed up in visually correct size, which I wrapped around my cube mesh, but its actual size/unit is 1 multiply by 0.01. IkariShinji’s new lattice is probably both visually and actually correct size since he said it was scaled 200 times to get it wrapped around. When I create lattice in my blender, I only need to scale it by 2 to wrap it around.

This is definitely a bug, please help me get this reported…

No, sir. I created the lattice, I scaled it up in object mode. done, I have done nothing except create it and scale it up in object mode.

I’ve set scene scale to 0.01 unit, as what you said cm. I did not scale them up and apply the transform, they were created like that. And I have no clue why this wouldn’t work.

I used to work under 0.01 scale and the lattice used to be working. Now I have no clue what happened.

And I think I clearly said I did not apply transform of any sort, or moved control points it in edit mode in the original post, and I AM NOT JOKING.

I’m not here to fool people around, I’m here to get help. There must be something other than me miraculously applied the transform without me noticing it.

no bro, I did not apply transform. I’ve reported this as a bug to the Blender Foundation and the administrator thought I did so as well but I didn’t. That is why I’m here to ask why.

And, I thank you for taking time and review the file, but man, in my case, when I created the lattice, it was not tiny, I scaled it up only twice to get it wrapped around my object.

My scene scale is 0.01, and there must be something else wrong about it.

I think I owe you an apology!
I tried this last night with 2.71 and 2.71.6 and had no issues, but in the light of this morning I tried it again with 2.72 and can at least reproduce the issue. Made a little video to show what I mean (should be uploaded in about 15 minutes give or take) - maybe it helps to illustrate the problem when you file your bug report (just link back to this thread/post)!

Additional image:

That radius setting for the lattice object did not exist before Blender 2.72 (it’s not even in 2.71.6): Perhaps this is the culprit?

To whom it may concern/be of interest:
The bug report is here. It was just decided that this is “intended behaviour” and not a bug. Anyway, why 2.72 introduced that “Radius” setting in the first place if you should better not touch it remains mysterious to me. But hey, what do I know…?

RemoteCrab131, If I’ve offended, I do apologize for that. I only tried to emphasize the point: in your file the scale of the lattice is way too small for its actual size. Logically I thought the ‘apply scale’ had to happen for this to be so, until I saw your bug report.

IkariShinji, that’s an interesting find indeed, and I too think that an exception should be made for lattice in this case (so Radius would change the scale, not actual lattice vertices).
But I see now this is all shifting from “Lattice doesn’t work properly” to pt. 3 of the bug report, just like OP mentions in the report:

1. I have no clue why sometimes changing scene scale will not take the default create object size with it. Sometimes after the scale change, the create object size are visually the same, sometimes the cube just become huge and the viewport goes inside the cube <– and that’s when the lattice fails.

Since we all can see in the posted .blend file that both sphere and lattice are as if were created with scene scale 1, whereas newly added objects get correct dimensions. Perhaps we should emphasize this more in the report or make a new one?

Ok… the real problem here is something happened when using 0.01 scene scale, and when created the object and lattice, they are already visually 100 times bigger than the size they would have had in 1.0 scene scale. And under this situation, the lattice just wouldn’t work anymore. I’m sorry but IkariShinji, your video only showed how radius affected the lattice that have the same glitchy effect, but my problem is that I created the cube, lattice and I’ve done nothing except scale the lattice up in object mode. I did not touch the radius setting yet the problem appears.

I’ll just update with the exact steps of recreating this issue.

Get a startup file that contains a scene scale of 1.000 using metric ( you can find this section in scene property panel)
-1. Double check if the scene scale is exactly at 1.000 metric. Note that no edit mode should occur and no apply transform action should be executed through this entire operation.
0. Default everything if you don’t mind, but do reset 3D cursor to the center of the grid. (Do turn on the grid)

• Create a UV sphere. Shift-A, mesh, UV sphere.
  1. Notice how big it visually is.
  2. Delete the infamous UV sphere, we don’t need it anymore.
  3. Go to the scene property panel, and change the scene scale value to 0.01.
  4. Now, create a cube. Shift-A, mesh, cube. Here goes a branch.
  • A. If this cube, has a visually similar size compare to the infamous UV sphere, then you just failed to recreate this glitch.
  • B. If you notice that the cube wasn’t nearly close to the size of the UV sphere because of that your view port is within the box itself, then you successfully find the worm hole that leads to this glitch.
  1. If you successfully get to 5B. Now you will zoom out, let the view port frame on the cube. Create a lattice. Shift-A, Lattice. Here goes a branch again.
  • A. If this lattice, only need to be scaled up 2 times to perfectly fit onto the cube you just created, you pass. Check by press S, 2, in object mode, look, then cancel it.
  • B. If this lattice, needs to be scaled up 200 times to perfectly fit onto the cube, you fail. Check by press S, 200, in object mode, take a look, then cancel it.
  1. If you pass 6A, then scale the lattice up 2 or 2.5 times, no matter which. (Just get the lattice to scale up that it can wrap around the cube.)
  2. Add a lattice modifier for the cube. Select the cube, go to modifier panel, add lattice modifier.
  3. Designate the lattice modifier on the cube to use the lattice you just scaled up 2 or 2.5 times.
  4. See for yourself of what is going on.

Remote Crab I got exactly the same thing on installing 2.72. I’m guessing the other guys are still on 2.71 where the lattice works fine. My workaround was to copy a lattice I already had in the scene, made in .71 and adapt it to a new use.

I reckon it’s a bug and was about to post when I saw yours. Seems to me the code for lattice deform got into a tangle with cast deform.

On closer reading and watching the video by @IkariShinji I tried again and this found this:

As in the vid, create a sphere 1m
Create a lattice 2m
apply as deformer
weird distortion

leave all as is create a second lattice 2m radius
in the sphere’s stack select the new lattice as deformer
no change, but the settings are still available in the toolbar for the new lattice
Change the radius setting and all returns to normal