What am i doing wrong? female head and eye's style

looks nothing like the drawing smh.

the images below show the output i want for [for JUST MY eyes]

i get confused about the placement of the eyes.
and i have trouble combining the eyes style i want with regular faces.

1 Like

You’re fairly new to Blender, right? 3D stylization like you’re going for is an incredibly complex topic that takes years of practice and research to master. I’ve been working on stylization in 3D for five years and I’m still learning new techniques every day. I suggest focusing on the essentials and the fundamentals first. You can’t break the rules until you know them- you can’t stylize until you know art and 3D fundamentals backward and forwards, in your sleep. You’re way ahead of yourself here- go practice the basics, the fundamentals, and then come back to this

8 Likes

Yes !

Faces are quite difficult to get right and adding stylisation is difficult too.
At least, it depends on the stylisation, but your reference drawing is very 2D.
Giving 3D the look of 2D is rather difficult.

While the video below is more about learning drawing than anything, the general ideas applies to 3D as well, you might find that inspiring :

don’t hesitate to ask if you have more questions.

Anyway what you’re started isn’t that bad but there is a lot of cover and it would probably be difficult to guide you with all the little issues in a forum.

So yeah, maybe start with simpler subject matters, and build your skills step by step !

Have fun !

2 Likes

I definitely agree with learning the basics and then trying stylizing approach.

For this specific image, I think you went too stylized in your model. Your reference picture maintains a pretty human anatomy. When I look at it, despite it clearly being stylized I can easily picture the underlying bone structure of a real human in her face, if that makes sense. That anatomy looks like it’s largely missing in your 3d model. Googling planes of the face, which should bring up a bunch of images similar to this one

might help you get that human structure back in your model. For example, your forehead looks like it’s coming to a near point where it should be a curved plane, and the area that I’m assuming is the eyesocket looks to have been shaped to match the eyebrow itself, which isn’t present in real humans, or in your reference picture.

If you drew this picture yourself, or have the 2d skills to create similar sketches, drawing it from a straight front angle and a side profile to go with this 3/4 view may give you additional reference to work from, and a better understanding of how the structures of her 2d face translate into 3d.

2 Likes

Agree with @joseph. It is not about “what am I doing wrong” or stuff like that. It is more about “What should I do to get those eyes look correctly?”

So, once again, it is all about a practice and all that.

2 Likes

i was thinking of blocking the eyes out and using the goku as eye placement reference. im going try it out later.

Just don’t give up :slightly_smiling_face:

Sculpting is a difficult, but at the same time a very interesting thing to do. Me, I am not a pro when it comes to sculpting. I do prefer more doing low poly models, but I realize how cool it is when you know how to create characters.

Maybe this one tutorial would help you:

2 Likes

You can use a camera background image as reference.

Here I start with a basic head, remeshed in Sculpt Mode (Ctrl+R) and smoothed and tweaked to get a general shape.

Set the image output size of your file to the size of your reference image.
Create a Camera and set its background to the reference image.
Move around the camera so the image matches the object.

Now sculpt over the reference image. Use more than a 3D view to work.

You may work with a partial reference (if you only need the eyes for example), just locate the camera accordingly and work on the eyes ignoring the rest.

There´s more. In Edit Mode, project the texture on the object. Click the Camera View, select all vertices an press U>Project from View.

With a simple material setup the reference is on your object as texture.

Now you have a 3D reference. Start from there.

Head_Reference_Start.blend (1.5 MB)

This is a quick workaround.

Draw. Model. Draw again. Enjoy. Don´t stop.

“sculpt, model and observe why your not getting the result you want”
–when i start sculpting the eyes, i start manipulating the delicate female head so much that it loses that original form.
–making that rounded circular shape (going around) the forehead instead of a rugged-like male head is difficult for me to do.
– acknoledging the inwards sharp angle the eye planes is placed is critical.

when you remesh does that bottom shape (im assuming its a seperete mesh from the main head) does that automatically connect it when remeshing?

also noticed you didnt actually do any sculpting to get that circular female forehead i mean how do i keep that while manipulating other things how do i get that with sculpt brushes.

Try to get confortable with the sculpt brushes.
Use the crease brush to mark references with the aid of the picture (like using a toothpick on clay).
Work around that lines.
With some basics you can make the most: Clay stripes, Smooth, Grab.
Work slightly, move around continuosly.
Remesh often.
Also it is good to have some physical reference:

Any flea market scrap of your choice will do the job.

Blender remeshes the full object. No separate mesh.

what method do i use to achieve those results?
to me it doesnt look sculpted. but if is sculpted than what brushes did he use?
i already went about creasing to get the eye outline, masking and flat brush, draw brush and a whole bunch of other brushes that are not giving me the results i want.
what do?

no worry all you have to do is observe the head, and divide it into shapes. the head can easily be a sphere and the portion that composes the chin will be another shape, like a cube for example… once you have worked on this basic blocking you will have a much easier time sculpting… because right now I bet youre using some sort of brush to add the elements, maybe you move the head… I think its best to block out shapes

Your brush strokes are rough and all over the place. For a beginner you are using too much geometry, so you lack control over your primary shapes. You are creating details before having the primary planes carved out, thus leading to a muddy sculpt.

I suggest reducing your sculpt down to at least half or a third of what you are using in terms of geometry and start carving out the shapes so the silhouette looks good without having any detail. Remember to rotate your camera regularly and look at your sculpt from multiple angles; up, down, side view, close-up, from a distance, you name it. Look at other people’s work of what you want to replicate, especially topology, and analyse how they work whenever possible.

Also, look up bone structures, musculature, and other anatomical references. Even if stylized it is a good idea to know how things connect to each other to create convincing sculptures. If you are working on faces it is a good idea to add your main shapes in early, like eyes, ears, neck, etc. Without them it is going to be harder to make your head sculpt look natural. Just remember not to add any complex shapes and work very low poly until you go up in details. Avoid smoothing your sculpt too often, since it is a common trap to smooth out everything and thus losing some key detail. This last point becomes less important the more experienced you are.

Either way, it will take time and patience to become a good sculptor. You will become faster the more you get to know your tools. Don’t overcomplicate things at the start and focus on fundamentals, since you don’t need a ton of different tools to become a sculptor. Clay, Fill, Grab, Elastic Deform, Snake Hook, Inflate, Smooth, Sharp/Crease, Scrape, and Draw are the primary tools to focus on until you find use of the other tools. Plus, avoid Shade Smooth/Auto-Smooth. Use Shade Flat to be able to read your shapes better.

1 Like

you’re right my brushes were all over the place here i believe i was seeing what they did and how each of them individually contributed and try to get it the result i want as close as possible and my approach here was terrible as i was new.
here i didnt know about blenders basis/constraints
the intrinsics of low poly to high poly
anatomy(facical connections)
(use the best brush for the job) according to the pertinent result i want.

mind you did is still a work in progress
im corralling myself from dyntop as it lags my computer too much :((((