What are the ways to decrease rendering time?

title explains all.

i love speedy replies, please help.

It’s always a specific thing for the particular scene/shot you’re working on.

Reduce the amount of raytraced lamps/materials you use. Fake reflections as much as possible. Use multiple buffered spots instead of area lights. Make your buffers “just big enough” on shadow-casting spots. Use negative lights or layer-only lights rather than buffered spots. Simplify your model. If it’s not going to be seen, delete those vertices. Don’t go crazy with particles. If you use images for textures, only make them large enough for the detail that can be seen at the distance the camera is set (no need for a 3000x3000 pixel image map of a background character’s face). If you need raytracing, reduce the depth of reflection/transparency as much as possible. Someone (I can’t remember who) has a whole list of things you can do to optimize render times for ambient occlusion renders, if you “need” that.

How’s that for a start? Of course, each optimization has a trade-off, so you have to judge that - like I said at the beginning - on a shot-by-shot basis.

thanks but it still doesn’t work.

this is what i did:

1. decrease depth of raytransp
  2. even unselect the raytransp
  3. deleted half my lamps
  4. took off “sphere” on all my remaning lamps

there are no textures in the scene. there is no AO. there are no particles.

it renders about a sixth of the whole image then it just stops.

any other help?

EDIT: i had a look at that other blender black screen thing which detect python and stuff. it said:

/Users\Katorlegaz\3D\ TEXTURES\books4.jpg: aborting antialias !
Too many transitions.
Is this a natural image ?

/Users\Katorlegaz\3D\ TEXTURES\books3.jpg: aborting antialias !
Too many transitions.

/Users\Katorlegaz\3D\ TEXTURES\books1.jpg: aborting antialias !
Too many transitions.

any explanations? help?

Make smaller renderings

Make lower quality renderings (decrease OSA, decrease RayMir RayTransp, swich Ray off completely, possibly turn off AO, maybe turn off all the lights… hey now you can also delete the meshes… there is no light… whoa, what a speedy rendering :Z )

Seriously, Yo cannot get faster unless:

a) you lower quality
b) you buy a better PC (possibly multiple CPUs)

And that error is not serious, it says Blender tries MipMapping or some sort of AA on a texture image of yours and that image is so complex it cannot perform the operation. No problem

Stefano

well thanks guys.

this is an animation, so i dont want it to spend an hour on every frame.

i managed to decrease the time from:

before starting this topic : rendering jammed. program not responding.
after first reply : rendering 1 hour long.
after second reply rendering 25 minutes long.
after experimenting about 20 minutes : rendering 6 minutes long.

im still trying to make it about 2 minutes. or as low as i can get.

can anybody tell me what is the main thing that makes rendering slow? is it excessive reflections? or excessive shadows? or too many faces and verts? or what?

:frowning: no replies :frowning:

i dont know why but one object takes loads longer to render than any other!

can anybody help?

(my AO is NOT ON. when i decreased my ray mir and raytransp on the object (the object is a glass table) that took a long time to render instead of taking 6 minutes to render it took 7 minutes. :frowning: i cant turn off any more lights the room is dark enough already! )

please help. and reply quickly i want to resolve this matter soon.

Have you tried yafray? http://www.yafray.org/

If you could post a .blend file and maybe also your system specs, then we’ll be able to help you more.

Raytraced reflections always take a long time to render, even if it’s just one surface that is reflecting. And it might be that you don’t have enough RAM. If you don’t have the RAM, then it will go really slow or may not render at all (crash).

hehe, he wants to decrease render times not increase render times (with Yafray.) :slight_smile:

The object that takes along time to render, is it complex, non-maifold with lots of hidden faces, etc?

Delete all light-sources in your scene. This will render your scenes in a FLASH.

Would one be correct in saying, “If your camera can’t see an object then it won’t affect the render time”?

In other words, if an object is behind the camera, does the program calculate it? (Other than to determin whether the object is in front or behind?)

Further, if one object is behind another from the camera’s perspective, does the program calculate it? (Except to determine that it doesn’t need to calculate it?)

It’s better for me to know what the rules the computer uses to determine what it will or will not calculate during the render rather than to list the specific things that slow the computer down.

These things are important to me because I only have a 400 MHz. G3. I have to economize as much as possilble. If I don’t economize and try to do crazy things like render 1,000,000 particles or 6-level subsurfaces the computer will slow to a crawl. However, if I DO learn to economize, my computer runs Blender fairly well, actually! :slight_smile:

hidden objects. heh. Only in Lightwave. Blender doesn’t calculate them.

Yafray is fast. Very fast. Try a scene with no GI and compare. :slight_smile: At least for simple scenes. More complexity multiplies pretty quickly. Can hardly wait till the new version is out. But that will take forever. :slight_smile: Probably have a useable Renderman output by then.

oooh. nice looong replies. :slight_smile:

anyway, yeah i managed to make the render time 4 minutes by putting the raymir on the glass table to .05.

not really good though, i also put my osa to 5 instead of 8.

Yafray is fast. Very fast. Try a scene with no GI and compare. At least for simple scenes. More complexity multiplies pretty quickly. Can hardly wait till the new version is out. But that will take forever. Probably have a useable Renderman output by then.

ooh. 1.1 mb, but the problem is that i have dialup and it takes about …3 hours?
continues waiting for it to get from 6% to 7% finished downloading

Would one be correct in saying, “If your camera can’t see an object then it won’t affect the render time”?

if you’re right then its no use deleting verts? no? anyway the verts still cast shadows, so the renderer would have the calculate it.

The object that takes along time to render, is it complex, non-maifold with lots of hidden faces, etc?

naw not complicated at all. its just a cylnder with a extruded base to look as a table leg. (in the middle). thats it. it has raymir and raystransp on it though.

Raytraced reflections always take a long time to render, even if it’s just one surface that is reflecting.

yeah i tried completly turning off ray. the render time was…5 seconds? but my lovely reflections on the table had dissapeared :frowning: .

Delete all light-sources in your scene. This will render your scenes in a FLASH.

uh i already said the room is dark enough already i cant delete any more lamps.

These things are important to me because I only have a 400 MHz. G3. I have to economize as much as possilble. If I don’t economize and try to do crazy things like render 1,000,000 particles or 6-level subsurfaces the computer will slow to a crawl. However, if I DO learn to economize, my computer runs Blender fairly well, actually!

yeah my particles are way less than a million. only about…1k at most. just small flames. anyway the most subsurface i have on is 3 i think.

so without completely turning off ray, how can i decrease the time from 4 minutes?

ok yafray just finished downloading and i tried it out. the rendering time was awsome, and that was with ray on and everything. but just one thing…my lighting showed up … 100 times it normal brightness (it looks like a light explosion now…) … is this normal for yafray? and some textures didnt show up.

yeah my particles are way less than a million. only about…1k at most. just small flames. anyway the most subsurface i have on is 3 i think.

Do you realise how much more verts you get when you have the subsurf on 3???

It’s exponential! So if you have a square with 4 verts, subsurf on 1 will make it 9 verts, on 2 it’ll be eh 25, on 3 it’ll be, 81. Try rendering with subsurf on 2.

Also try rendering in layers… try to sepparate your foreground from the background and appending them in a photo editor later. Things like having something complex in a huge simple surroundings can increase the rendertime by heaps. if you can sepparate them (rendering with an alpha channel in passes) it can save a lot of time.

Yafray still has some limitations. And lights are calculated differently. You’ll have to experiment.

As far as hidden geometry goes, if a shadow is showing then the geometry isn’t hidden? :slight_smile: In Lightwave if you put a box inside another box the engine will acutally fully render the interior box and then render the exterior box over the top of that. Even if the exterior box is fully opaque. This will change in Lightwave 9 apparently.

several problems i had while rendering using yafray.

1. my textures doesn’t show up on a mesh. why?

2. oooh my candle flame dissapeared! boo hoo hoo :frowning: help?

please answer quickly.

EDIT
(btw for the blender render, i tried moving the keyboard and mouse and candle off the glass table, i switched off the raymir and raytransp and then tried rendering. took about…2 seconds less to render, so then i decided to count the faces. and guess what. 420 faces!!! thats it. im sticking to some lower poly (i didn’t subsurface cos it screws up the reflections) cylinder.)

ill post some updates with the render.

though i woudl like some answers to the yafray questions for further use.

Have you tried the Intel Optimized build?
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17626&highlight=intel+optimized